Devices are connected to network, passing traffic but physically no internet in the devices

SD-WAN1
Comes here often

Devices are connected to network, passing traffic but physically no internet in the devices

Hello,

I am facing an issue, kindly need your insights over here.

First my topology is connected as ISP router to Meraki router(MX67C) internet port. Meraki router port 3 to Meraki switch(MS120-24P) port 1. Meraki switch port 2 to Access point (MR33). 

Port 3,4,5 are trunk ports which is configured at template level.

Currently 14 devices are connected to the network, 8 devices are connected through Wi-Fi (SSIDs). From Meraki dashboard I did not observed any issue with respect to internet. Able to ping Google DNS, able to ping all 14 devices from my end. I observed all 14 devices are receiving proper IP from respective VLAN, there is traffic flow and devices are consuming data. But physically no device is able to access internet. 

Troubleshooting steps performed

1. Re-started the devices laptop, iPads

2. Disconnected port 2 cable of Meraki switch and connected back.

3. Rebooted Meraki switch and Meraki router

4. Reset networks settings on both iPad and laptop

Still issue persist.

Next steps which I thought

1. Checking by changing the access point cable to other port of switch.

Please guide what can be the cause of this issue and what can be the resolution 

8 Replies 8
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

All of your troubleshooting steps performed are layer 1 and don't really have any basis.

You need to start looking further up the stack.

Eg.

What's the error that the clients are seeing?

Can the devices reach their default gateway?

What do you see from a traceroute to an Internet addtess?

Do you have firewall rules, access lists etc?

Agreed that repairing should go above layer 1. Analyzing client issues, ensuring access to the default gateway, and assessing the traceroute program to the internet are all critical stages. Exploring firewall rules and access lists is critical for an in-depth awareness and solutions of network issues.

Actually this network is bound at template level with other 320 networks. Firewall rules are configured at template level and only this particular network is facing this issue

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Maybe DNS resolution is not working.

You can ping 8.8.8.8, correct?

Can you ping google.com?

+1 with @PhilipDAth. Check name resolution.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Yes I can ping 8.8.8.8 and done tracert as well no loss found

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Can you:
ping www.google.com

If not, what error do you get back?

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Your faster path to resolution would be to open a Support case so an Engineer can see your configs and troubleshoot it 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels