Cisco Umbrella on existing MR network questions

pjc
A model citizen

Cisco Umbrella on existing MR network questions

Hello all

I'm looking at the options for guest wifi web filtering and reporting for a small network of MR AP's within our existing Meraki organisation and I have a few questions around licensing and functionality that I would be very grateful if anyone has answers.  I would like to know:

1. Can I integrate Cisco Umbrella into my existing MR Enterprise co-termed license model and apply it to just one network (with say 10 x MR AP's in it).  How many Umbrella licenses would I need ?

2. Would I need to upgrade my existing MR Enterprise co-term to Advanced MR license (if needed) for the whole of the organisation or can I just upgrade one network with those AP's in that network. Can MR Enterprise and MR Advanced license co-exist in the same Organisation.  I don't want to move our existing to a per-device licensing model, co-term works best for our organisation

3. Is the Umbrella license per MR AP or per MAC address client ? And if MAC client, do any new clients on the guest network that exceed the limit just not get filtering applied to them ?

4. How would I apply the Umbrella filtering policy to guest devices ?  Can I just add device MAC addresses in a Meraki group policy and apply a Umbrella filtering policy to that ?  Presumably I can then do device web activity reporting in Umbrella dashboard (I can cross reference MAC addresses with owners of those devices)

5. Has anyone got a rough idea of pricing for Umbrella per AP or client ?

6. Anything else I should know about Umbrella/Meraki integration ? !!

Many thanks in advance !

6 Replies 6
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You have two options:

1. Migrate to MR Advanced
  2. Integrate your Meraki Network with a separate Umbrella "Install"

I prefer 2) because it is much more flexible, but 1) is typically easier for the administration.

This description is already some years old but will answer most of your questions:

https://meraki.cisco.com/lib/pdf/meraki_whitepaper_mr_umbrella.pdf

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

hi @KarstenI  - is there a third option to integrate at the MX level (if applicable here) and enable Umbrella integration here?

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes, the "normal" Umbrella can be integrated with the MX. I have this running for multiple clients. But if there are VM-Hosts I typically prefer the virtual appliances as the integration.

pjc
A model citizen

Thankyou Karstenl for the link to the doc.

Has anyone have any info on licensing types (per client, network, organisation) needed and pricing

please ?

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

MR Advanced is licensed by AP, The traditional Umbrella is licensed per User. For pricing reach out to the Cisco Partner of your choice. Where are you located? There are a couple of partners here in the community.

pjc
A model citizen

Thanks

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels