Can wireless client roam between AP located in different Network within the same Organization?

japbn
Just browsing

Can wireless client roam between AP located in different Network within the same Organization?

hello all! Do you know if wireless client roam between AP located in different Network, same SSID, within the same Organization?

4 Replies 4
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I've never tested but I doubt it would be a seamless roam. There would be no hand-off.

It would basically be a disassociation and re-association.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If the APs involved are in the same VLAN - I think it would work.  The APs rely on being able to broadcast via their LAN ports to reach other APs to pass off roaming info.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Wi-Fi_Basics_and_Best_Practices/Roaming_Technologies

If they are in different VLANs - what @Brash says.

TBHPTL
A model citizen

Several options. You can tunnel the traffic back from an APs SSID to an MX in any other network within the same org  from APs origin network.  IN the example below the SSID is set to tunnel back to whatever MX in what other network in the same org. I would not use the same SSID name though. Your client and your client alone decides to which SSID it will connect.

What exactly are you wanting to do?

TBHPTL_0-1722441551377.png

Jinbe
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Seamless roaming will only occur between APs on the same Meraki network. When roaming between APs in different Meraki Networks, the IP address, policy, and PMK for each client is not shared, resulting in a hard roam where the client devices must fully reauthenticate. 

In fact, if you have APs in the same physical proximity, using the same SSIDs but on separate Meraki networks, Air Marshal may trigger an SSID spoofing alert. 

For a more in-depth explanation of Roaming Domains and the behavior with Meraki APs along with general Best Practices for Wireless Enterprise deployments with Meraki, I would highly recommend giving this document some time: 

https://documentation.meraki.com/Architectures_and_Best_Practices/Meraki_Wireless_for_Enterprise_Bes...

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels