CW916x persona migration

Solved
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

CW916x persona migration

Hi all,

Has anyone already migrated APs between Personas? I can't find answers to a couple of questions:

1. Is the migration one-way, or can I later migrate back? How often can I migrate the same AP?
  2. CWs in DNA mode have a fixed regulatory domain. What domain is set after the migration to Meraki? Is it still possible to set it purely based on the country of the dashboard network as it is done for MR?
  3. Or the other way round: Wenn migrated from Meraki to DNA; what is the reg domain? Can it be changed later?
  4. I have more MR Enterprise Licenses than I need. Can I use these licenses to be migrated with the AP to DNA license?

I have some "guesses" but no certainty how it will work for all this.

Have a great day, Karsten

1 Accepted Solution
thomasthomsen
Head in the Cloud

1. Is the migration one-way, or can I later migrate back? How often can I migrate the same AP? - Yes I think you can migrate as much as you want, but perhaps Meraki support might get "annoyed" , because migrating from Meraki to , ehhh .. DNA Persona ? requires Meraki support. Just like on the 9300 switches. (I have done both back and forth. APs and Switches). - You do of course require a dashboard license to get support to convert it back.2
  2. CWs in DNA mode have a fixed regulatory domain. What domain is set after the migration to Meraki? Is it still possible to set it purely based on the country of the dashboard network as it is done for MR? - This might be harder to find. But when you convert from DNA to Meraki mode, the dashboard sets the reg-domain , like on all other MR APs ... The other way ... it gets more interesting. As far as I remember (and Im digging through old files right now) it will actually convert the AP to the reg-domain it had on the dashboard.
  3. Or the other way round: Wenn migrated from Meraki to DNA; what is the reg domain? Can it be changed later? - as mentioned above. When you convert it back to DNA, it will "optain" the regdomain it had on Dashboard. And then , of course, when it is in DNA-mode, as always *sigh*, you cannot change the reg-domain.
  4. I have more MR Enterprise Licenses than I need. Can I use these licenses to be migrated with the AP to DNA license? - When converting from DNA to MR - they will convert from DNA to Meraki license "one to one. - The other way around from Meraki to DNA you will get credits for your old Meraki licenses to buy DNA licenses.

I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @KarstenI ,

Maybe you can find some answers here.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Other_Topics/CW916x_Family_Frequently_Asked_Questions

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

That was the first document I read, but none of my questions were answered there.

thomasthomsen
Head in the Cloud

1. Is the migration one-way, or can I later migrate back? How often can I migrate the same AP? - Yes I think you can migrate as much as you want, but perhaps Meraki support might get "annoyed" , because migrating from Meraki to , ehhh .. DNA Persona ? requires Meraki support. Just like on the 9300 switches. (I have done both back and forth. APs and Switches). - You do of course require a dashboard license to get support to convert it back.2
  2. CWs in DNA mode have a fixed regulatory domain. What domain is set after the migration to Meraki? Is it still possible to set it purely based on the country of the dashboard network as it is done for MR? - This might be harder to find. But when you convert from DNA to Meraki mode, the dashboard sets the reg-domain , like on all other MR APs ... The other way ... it gets more interesting. As far as I remember (and Im digging through old files right now) it will actually convert the AP to the reg-domain it had on the dashboard.
  3. Or the other way round: Wenn migrated from Meraki to DNA; what is the reg domain? Can it be changed later? - as mentioned above. When you convert it back to DNA, it will "optain" the regdomain it had on Dashboard. And then , of course, when it is in DNA-mode, as always *sigh*, you cannot change the reg-domain.
  4. I have more MR Enterprise Licenses than I need. Can I use these licenses to be migrated with the AP to DNA license? - When converting from DNA to MR - they will convert from DNA to Meraki license "one to one. - The other way around from Meraki to DNA you will get credits for your old Meraki licenses to buy DNA licenses.

I hope this helps.

With that, it seems "safe" to start with CW-APs and migrate them later to DNA mode. I'll go with that!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels