CW9166 vs MR57 - Signal Coverage

MuhammadWaqas
Conversationalist

CW9166 vs MR57 - Signal Coverage

Hi,

I was trying to run just plain simulation of Signal Coverage patterns on Ekahau for CW9166 and MR57 and match the propagation patterns with Datasheets just to see how good they are when being compared to datasheet Coverage patterns. Please note , i have done plain simulation which no walls , no attenuation , etc. Did it with 6mw for 2.4Ghz and 25mw for 5Ghz and 6Ghz as Tx power.

Based on Published gains for MR 57 (4.5 dBi gain in 2.4 GHz, 5.5 dBi gain in 5 GHz, and 5.5 dBi gain in 6GHz) and CW9166 (3 dBi in 2.4Ghz, 5dBi in 5Ghz and 4dBi in 6 Ghz) , what i felt is 2.4Ghz & 6Ghz for both access points are more or less same but 5Ghz is showing more difference in terms of coverage although there is only 0.5dbi Difference in both. So looking here your thoughts on it. Also can anyone tell based on your experience which one is better MR57 or 9166 other than the little difference in Gain and that 9166 is supported on both platforms like Meraki and on-prem ( WLC based). Do they both have any other major difference?

MuhammadWaqas_0-1700414274039.png

@MR57

7 Replies 7
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Longer term, I think the Meraki line of access points, like the MR57, will be terminated.  I think all the R&D is going to go into the Catalyst range of APs (which is what the CW9166 is).  These are used by both Cisco Enterprise and Cisco Meraki.  The MR57 is only used by Cisco Meraki.

Personally, I sell the CW9166 over the MR57 for this one reason alone.

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The only advantage of the MR57 over the CW9166 is IMO the possible port redundancy. But as there is no PoE redundancy yet, even that is limited. I also only go for the CW models for 6GHz now.

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Thanks for the clarification. I looked it up in the datasheet to see if it is already implemented and it says "will be enabled via firmware update at a later date". Great to hear it is already available. Time to adjust the documentation ...

I've requested an update to the doc. Thanks for pointing that out.

UKDanJones
Building a reputation

I wouldn’t bother with the CW9166 (especially if you’re using Meraki) the only difference of note is the SDR (ability to run 2x 5 GHz) 

I would just buy the CW9164

Please feel free to hit that kudos button
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes, important fact. With the CW9164, some bucks can be saved in environments where 2.4 doesn't play any role. Same as previously with the MR44 vs. MR46.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels