CW9164 running on 1GHz with PoE+ vs 2.5GHz UPoE

PGP
Here to help

CW9164 running on 1GHz with PoE+ vs 2.5GHz UPoE

Does any one what happens if connect a CW9154 with 1GHz and  PoE+ vs 2.5GHz UPoE.

ie does the lower power mean it can't support  4x4 mimo ?

8 Replies 8
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I believe you are correct in your thinking.  The same happens with an MR44 when powered via POE+ instead of UPOE.  Instead of 4x4 you’ll get 2x2

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Taken from the MR44 datasheet:

In low power mode, MR44 will do the following:

1. Downshift its Ethernet uplink speed from 2.5 Gbps to 1 Gbps
  2. Transition from 4x4:4 to 2x2:2 in 5GHz
  3. Disable its dedicated IoT (previously known as BLE) radio
  4. Disable its dedicated Scanning Radio
  5. Reduce the max Tx power
Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

The CW9164 PoE requirements are in the datasheet https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/MR_Overview_and_Specifications/CW9164_Datasheet#Specifications

It can operate on 802.3at and bt. There is no supported low power mode on af power.

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I think there gets a little bit mixed up here:

UPoE is 802.3bt; this is only needed for the USB port on the AP.

PoE+ is 802.3at and is enough for all radio features on the 9164

UPoE is Cisco proprietary

TBHPTL_0-1695852975382.png

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes, that is right; I needed to be more specific. I was only referring to the original problem for features of the AP. The 9k switches (at least all that I know) with UPoE also provide 3bt, which is enough to run the 9164 with all features, including the USB port.

GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I believe the question was about the uplink data rate provided, rather than the PoE level (?)    There would be nothing stopping a client associating at the high data rates, on an AP uplinked at just 1 Gbps and they will likely not see too much difference in performance (they're going to have to be right under the AP, with an expensive/powerful device to get them anyay).   You're much more likely to have uplink bandwidth concerns if you have loads of clients connected to the same AP, even if they're not connected at the very highest data rates - but they are generating a lot of traffic.   In such instances though, you may well hit channel availability issues before you hit the 1 Gbps ceiling.

UKDanJones
Building a reputation

Unless you’re running 160 MHz wide channels on 6 GHz and 80 MHz on 5 GHz and both channels are utilised at the same time by clients directly below the AP you’ll never use more than 1 Gbps anyway. 

so a normal office running 20 MHz on 5 GHz and 80 on 6 GHz won’t get anywhere close to 1 Gbps. 

Please feel free to hit that kudos button
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels