Apple TV and Meraki MR56

JMLOSD
Here to help

Apple TV and Meraki MR56

Is it possible to have an Apple TV or Airtame (wireless display device) be associated to a specific Meraki WAP?

8 Replies 8
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The only possibility is for you to create a unique SSID for this device and advertise it soemnet on the target AP.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Other_Topics/Using_Tags_to_Broadcast_SSIDs_from_Specific_APs

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Is there a specific reason for this? In general, I would say it is not the optimal solution.

JMLOSD
Here to help

This is an issue mainly in my middle and high schools. Because there are so many classrooms that have Apple TVs, it takes a while to scroll and find the correct one when the Apple TV has been rebooted or updated. Most of the classrooms have their Apple TV advertised to connect easily, however, in those instances where is it not showing, scrolling takes time to locate and sometimes it takes a couple of refreshes to connect. I was thinking that it may be easier if the Apple TV is associated to the Ap in the classroom for easier searching and connecting. 

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Not really, maybe you have another problem (like the wireless network design).

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

JMLOSD
Here to help

Each classroom has an WAP. How should I change the wireless network design?

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It would be interesting to hire a specialized company to carry out a site survey and validate your wireless network.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Put each classroom into a seperate VLAN, so the people in the classroom can only see the assets located in that classroom.

If you use PSKs rather than a username/password to attach, you could also use WPN to create a virtual WiFi network per classroom.  This has the same impact as using VLANs, without having to create a VLAN, but provides easier roaming.  This article discusses using WPN in a school environment.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Encryption_and_Authentication/Wi-Fi_Personal_Network_(WPN) 

chuyendang
Getting noticed

We have over 200 AppleTVs in our campus. I disable Bonjour to block AppleTV broadcasting over network. Clients will be able to find the nearby AppleTV via Bluetooth. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels