An access point that takes Fibre

Solved
Patrick24
Conversationalist

An access point that takes Fibre

I have two WiFi networks, one Cisco with 9130 and 9124AX APs and the 9124 accept SFP and the other net utilises Ruckus APs.

I am looking at consolidating them and have one system, going Meraki and dropping all the controllers and other bits between would be awesome.

Issue is, we offer WiFi in public spaces with distance and utilse Fibre to the APs, Meraki does not seem to have an offering that can replace these?

Does anyone have any insight if it is coming, or if the 9124 will get Meraki firmware?

if not, I feel my whole network will be Ruckus.

thanks

Pat

1 Accepted Solution
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Nothing is available with Meraki, not even the shiny new outdoor AP CW9163E. And I don't expect that any of the former c91xx will ever implement the Meraki persona. A media converter is likely not what you want to add to your setup.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Nothing is available with Meraki, not even the shiny new outdoor AP CW9163E. And I don't expect that any of the former c91xx will ever implement the Meraki persona. A media converter is likely not what you want to add to your setup.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you need to use fibre then I am assuming you are powering devices using a nearby power outlet in which case a media convertor would be your only option although it add's another link into the chain. 

Patrick24
Conversationalist

Thanks.

It is a bit short sighted on the part of Cisco, and is one of those things that could easily steer you to another vendor.

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes, although it is likely a niche market, it could be some missed opportunities.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I agree, we have needed one in about 500 AP installs, but we just installed a media convertor that supplied PoE, like this one:

https://www.omnitron-systems.com/omniconverter-gpoe-se-gigabit-poe-media-converter.php

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels