poor WLAN quality with MR45

SOLVED
redsector
Head in the Cloud

poor WLAN quality with MR45

Hello,

I have one MR45 with poor WiFi quality.

I opened a case for this problem.

It´s only on our MR45 (not on MR42, MR42E, MR52, MR32 ...)

AND

It´s only on some Dell Notebook models and on Microsoft Tablets (not with Apple Notebooks f.e.)

The problem occures only when the devices are running on battery.

If you plug in the power supply the problem disappears immediately.

If you change the Win10 power-saving for the Wireless adapter from "normal" to "high..." then it works!

Dear Meraki stuff, do a update for this accespoints, and tell the service that this problem exists, they don´t believe me!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
redsector
Head in the Cloud

Hello, I got news: support told me today that the issue is resolved with firmware MR27.6

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I guess @cmr will chime in here too. I'd even say that's a known problem with AX and the Intel chipsets (or better their drivers).

Please keep us updated regarding your TAC case.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@CptnCrnch I replied where @redsector posted in this thread: https://community.meraki.com/t5/Wireless-LAN/Getting-low-connectivity-MR45-Meraki/m-p/99993#M14778 as indeed it has been a known issue to Meraki since June but they need us to do some more diagnostics that I was unable to do in lockdown...

redsector
Head in the Cloud

Hi,

I found out:

All devices running with Win 10 (1909)

Dell Latitude E7400 with Intel Wireless-AC 9560 is working well

Dell Latitude E7450 with Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 is working well

Dell Latitude E7490 with Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 is not working well

This information I sent to the Meraki case

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@redsector I can add that Dell XPS13 9350 with 8260 does NOT work well, it works fine with an AX200

redsector
Head in the Cloud

News from the Meraki support:

So we are aware of some issues on with the Wireless-AC 8260's you're running the 8265's but I believe these are extremely similar to each other. I believe this issue is related to the beamforming (documented below).
https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/WiFi_Basics_and_Best_Practices/Meraki_MR_SU-MIMO%2C_MU-MIMO%2C_a...

With your permission, I'd like to perform a backend change to disable the beamforming on the MR45 for now. If this works this would atleast get things running for the time being whilst a fix is implemented.

Could I ask which SSID we have been testing on so far? This backend change is made on a per SSID basis so we could test this on 1 SSID for now. This change would only take effect on the MR45.

I do not expect disruption to the clients on the MR45 at this time but its also possible they could experience temporary issues or a disconnection when this backend change is made.

Meraki support did a change as described below. Now it´s working as expected!

Meraki put an modified firmware on our MR45:

"So, I need to move just this MR45 onto a different firmware for now, this will mean this will allow everything to keep working even if your MR is rebooted. Again this is only temporary whilst the entire issue is looked into on our side.

Please note the firmware change will involve a short amount of downtime as the device reboots 2-3minutes is likely.

If this is also agreeable I will make this change from my end?"

It´s working now.

To remember:

The issue occures (only?) on Wireless-AC 8260 and 8265 wireless hardware

The issue occures only when the notebook or tablet is running on battery, no issue with an external power supply

The issue occures only when the power saving of the WiFi hardware is set to standard (Win10), not when you change it to high power consumption

In the End: you can´t put blame on Meraki. I think it´s an Intel issue.

Here are the news:

I wrote to Meraki helpdesk after an test-update on one of our MR45:

"Great, it´s working now.

But: you reduced the functionality.
Isn´t it better to complain at Microsoft or Intel to provide a proper driver for the wireless-devices?"

this is the answer:

redsector
Head in the Cloud

Hello, I got news: support told me today that the issue is resolved with firmware MR27.6

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels