msftconnecttest.com and msn.com on auto SSID connect (Intune)

Netordre
Conversationalist

msftconnecttest.com and msn.com on auto SSID connect (Intune)

Hi

Got a setup with Intune enrolled devices where a wifi configuration is in place that automatically gives all devices the password for an SSID on a Meraki based wifi setup.

Settings for wifi is straight forward, Direct Access as soon as there is a connection to the SSID, with WPA2 protection.

It works, but, whenever a new or a device that have not been connected in a while boots up, a browser opens and goes to msftconnecttest.com/redirect, after a while it then goes to msn.com. I do get reports that if the user is not "acknowledging" the browser, simply by looking at the page it opened, the network is dodgy or wont work. I have my doubts and yet to see this myself.

I can find others describing this problem, but they are either accessing a public network, or a network with a splash screen. I also find others talking about a workaround with a regedit with some Activeprobing needing to be disabled, but it could destroy something else like windows updates, so i have not looked further into this.

There is another SSID on the meraki AP's that is not being auto deployed, but just needs manuel password entry where this behaviour is not happening.

Can anyone point me in the right direction ?

4 REPLIES 4
jv2
Conversationalist

we're you ever able to resolve this? I have a similar issue in a new office we turned up.

Netordre
Conversationalist

Hi Jv2

Unfortunately no. I found out it was only really 1 user at the end which now is stopped working here.

However, investigation led me to, that it could be problems with DNS, or something called Active probes, which you can try to disable on a computer.

See this microsoft doc that mention the msnconnecttest and NSCI probes:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-client/networking/internet-explorer-edge-open-...

I never got to test it though.

Dealing with this same exact issue. Thanks for the linked article but Microsoft makes it pretty clear in their warning disclaimer that disabling NSCI probes may cause connectivity issues with Windows Updates and Outlook. Probably not a good idea to mess with it.

Kim3
Conversationalist

hi, everyone.

When connecting to meraki mr33 AP has been existed same issue.

RuckusAP has never been happend.  

Please let me know about a causing if someone knows. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels