Windows 7 and Radius login on SSID

SOLVED
NickCalcutti
Getting noticed

Windows 7 and Radius login on SSID

I have just installed a radius/NPS server and applied the configurations to the SSID i wanted to test it on. It worked great for Windows 10 laptops, android and apple phones Windows 7 keeps saying there is an authentication issue. i followed the directions with this document https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Encryption_and_Authentication/Enabling_WPA2-Enterprise_in_Window...

and still no joy entering in my credentials. Does anyone else have and issue or a helpful tip with windows 7 devices? thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

So TLS didnt fix it, i deleted the policy and went through the steps again and followed the Steps for the Windows 7 document again and everything works now. Thanks for everyones help

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have the Windows 7 got your CA certificate in their trusted root certificate authority list?

Yes, I can see it in the certificate list under the 802.1x settings on the properties of the WiFi but I have tried it both, with and with out server validation and no luck. Now it is a self signed cert and I noticed in windows error logs to diagnose the issue it does state eap failure due to certificate issue but don't know how to resolve that since it sees the certificate

Self signed?  Did you not deploy an enterprise CA server and use that to issue the certificate?

When I get back to the office I'll double check but I'm sure it's the self signed from the IIS but I could be mistaken.

I just find it hard that windows 10 and mobile had no issues but windows 7 devices due have issues

Nick, is there any chance you've disabled TLS 1.0 or 1.1 on the NPS server?  I tried to do that in an office, but Win7 needed it for the RADIUS to function.  I'm gong off the top of my head here, so I can't remember if there's a way to make Win7 use the higher level TLS settings.  I went for the easiest solution of turning on TLS1.0 on the NPS server until we complete Win10 Migrations.  

So TLS didnt fix it, i deleted the policy and went through the steps again and followed the Steps for the Windows 7 document again and everything works now. Thanks for everyones help

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels