Sponsored Guest - New Feature Requested

Solved
Matt-P
Here to help

Sponsored Guest - New Feature Requested

Hi all, I have requested a new feature in the dashboard but wanted to post it here to see if anyone else with this problem thinks this is a good idea, or if anyone has found another way to overcome this.

As we know, the Sponsored Guest Feature is awesome, but lacks reporting and controls.  It is not possible to view the Users Name or email address used to request access, and that leaves us with just a device name and person who approved it to look at live.  We can't even see authorized Guests who are not currently joined.  I know this has been kicking around for quite a while so I assume there is a good technical reason for this, i.e these are not credentials as such, and instead just used to create an account based on the mac address of the device (something like that anyway)

So I was thinking it would be great if we could do this:

If we can use the "Sign On With Meraki Auth" feature and turn on "allow users to create their own accounts", and then in addition add an option to allow the account to be authorised by a Sponsor chosen by the Guest at the time of login (within an email domain).  So it is the same process and the current Sponsored Guest, but a Meraki Account is created in the process and used to Web Auth on.  This way we can see the user and device.  It would need to option to put time limits on the accounts so they can auto expire but that doesn't sound too difficult as I seem to be able to put expiry dates on manually after an account is created.  Good idea or no?

For anyone reading this who has the same problems, has anyone found another way to get better reporting?  Maybe with a 3rd party splash page?

Cheers

Matt

1 Accepted Solution
5 Replies 5
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal
Matt-P
Here to help

Thanks, yes I have requested a trial from Splashaccess and am waiting to hear back, my only concern is that the product description reads as though it can provide an ambassador solution and not a sponsor, but I will find out.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Well, I don't know if this is on a roadmap, but my opinion is if you want more advanced features you need to use Cisco ISE. Maybe it's a sales strategy. Well, at least that's what I think.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

cheers, yes tried that but the devices show up as 'unauthorised' in the meraki portal even though they have been approved by ISE and indeed do have access.  Might have been a radius message problem, the access accept was definitely working, but the username and auth status was not getting back.  Plus from ISE's point of view I couldn't see full details of the client either.  

EnricoP
Just browsing

Hello Matt, have a look on this https://mg.backloop.biz maybe can help you. Multiple customers asked us the same things so I decided to develop it as 3rd party page.

https://mg.backloop.biz
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels