Network That contains both an MR access point and a security appliance with integrated wireless.

SOLVED
Mikey
Conversationalist

Network That contains both an MR access point and a security appliance with integrated wireless.

I'm getting this error: This network contains both an MR access point and a security appliance with integrated wireless. The security appliance will not mesh with the access point and some aspects of the client experience, such as roaming, may be negatively affected by this network configuration.

I understand that this is because I'm using both and MR AP and a MX64W. I would like to use both access points w/the same SSID's. Does this have to be 2 split networks? Is there a way to properly configure this or a best practice configuration so roaming will work correctly on both the MR and the MX without splitting the networks?

Mikey Romero
IT Guy!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

@Mikey you are correct, the wireless version of the MX appliances are meant to be for small standalone deployments as @PhilipDAth indicated.  If you then add an MR to that same network, you would have to manage it as 2 separate wireless networks, one from the Wireless locale in Dashboard and one from the Wireless Settings page under the Security Appliance locale.  This can work but not seamlessly and not best practice, it's still 2 separate networks and was not meant to scale in that fashion.  The way to scale that is deploying a non-W MX appliance (or disabling wireless on the MX) and deploying 2 access points to be managed as a single wireless network from the Wireless menu.  

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I would keep them in the same network, otherwise things might get worse.

I would try and use a bridge mode SSID to minimise problems.

Seriously?! we are doing a test on our remote sites and this is a deal breaker.  What garbage.  Why make a security device to vpn to main branch that doesnt fully integrate with your existing product. 

Agent14
Conversationalist

This really doesn't make any sense.  If I have a small office and I just want two wireless points, you're forcing me to buy three devices even though you sell a router with wireless capability! 

There is absolutely no reason to prevent this from integrating other than you wanting to make more money.

This is terrible. 

I have always enjoyed Meraki devices and platform. I think it's awesome that you have brought the power of CLI to a useable UI and given us what we need to setup networks quickly and easily (albeit with a yearly price attached).

What I don't get is this apparent bizarre decision.

What could possibly justify not allowing the two wireless networks to mesh?

TimLillis
Conversationalist

I totally agree. I switched to ruckus unleashed and disabled the WiFi and regret getting this WiFi “model.” It appears Cisco has gotten too big and is focusing on profit over customer satisfaction.
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

@Mikey you are correct, the wireless version of the MX appliances are meant to be for small standalone deployments as @PhilipDAth indicated.  If you then add an MR to that same network, you would have to manage it as 2 separate wireless networks, one from the Wireless locale in Dashboard and one from the Wireless Settings page under the Security Appliance locale.  This can work but not seamlessly and not best practice, it's still 2 separate networks and was not meant to scale in that fashion.  The way to scale that is deploying a non-W MX appliance (or disabling wireless on the MX) and deploying 2 access points to be managed as a single wireless network from the Wireless menu.  

This would make more sense if you had 4:4 instead of 2:2 in the MX65w to handle a remote site solo.

With all due respect, this is an observation which we also made as users. 
Please take into consideration this as a feedback and try to implement the option to mesh the security appliance with the MR.

Best regards,
Adrian

Please provide a way to have the MX64W as a gateway, directly connected to the Internet, and a few MR APs (MR34 in my case) as repeaters and meshed up. This should be an easy task for Meraki and nothing that we should treat as two separated networks as stated before...

Hi all,

Has anything chnaged since the original post ?  I have the same issue,  customer has poor coverage so wishes to add an AP for further coverage.

Thanks

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

@DaveWild, unfortunately no. The MX-W and MR wireless are two different systems (and likely always will be). If you don’t need seamless roaming between them then you can set them up the same so that clients can associate to either, but you won’t get the benefits of them being on the same ‘controller’. (You may also need to do some fine tuning around Air Marshal and channel selection to get things working properly - so not as simple as you’d like).

DaveWild
Conversationalist

Brill thanks for the speedy reply

Hi Team, 

An other question links to this topic.

Can MR36 directly connect with the MX64W or we need to add a device between them like a switch.

Thank you.

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

You can connect a MR36 directly to a MX64W but you’ll either need to power the AP with a power supply, or use a PoE injector (or use a PoE switch). Also note that you won’t get any roaming between the MX and MR, they’re configured separately, and you’re probably best to not have them both configured with the same SSID.

merakifr
Comes here often

Great Thank you Bruce for this informations.

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I want to stress out the last sentence from @Bruce a little bit. The moment you come to the conclusion that the internal AP of the MX is not enough, you should completely migrate to the non-MX wireless and shut off the MX wireless completely.

Worked for me - Thank you.  To be clear for others: Set up a new network of type wireless and then add the MRs.  Additionally, the under wireless settings in the 'problematic; WIFI network , turn off SSIDs - Disable.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels