MR57 and MR56 roaming when 6ghz is enabled.

Solved
WTorres
Getting noticed

MR57 and MR56 roaming when 6ghz is enabled.

Good evening.

I have a network with mixed MR56 and MR57 APs using WPA3 authentication. I am considering enabling the third radio (6GHz) on the MR57. However, I am not clear on what would happen to my clients when they roam from 6GHz to 5Ghz radio.

Can someone provide some insight on this?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I've seen some cases where customers face problems when trying to connect.

Not to mention that for 6ghz WPA3 is mandatory, meaning you have to think about devices that don't support WPA3.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I would consider having a separate SSID for 5 GHz.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Thanks for your input. We have considered using separate SSIDs however, What I would like to know is what will happen if we stay with the same SSID. Will this create disconnects when roaming?

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I've seen some cases where customers face problems when trying to connect.

Not to mention that for 6ghz WPA3 is mandatory, meaning you have to think about devices that don't support WPA3.

Yes , I agree with you, not worth the headache.
I will follow your advise and create a separate SSID for the third radio. Thank you!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels