Mesh understanding Meraki

Solved
Stoppi
New here

Mesh understanding Meraki

Hello dear community,

we've been puzzling over a problem here for quite a while. We are using several Meraki MR33 AccessPoints. We also have various Meraki switches in use, so that we are homogeneous on this topic.

In our case, we noticed this extremely when we wanted to work with a smartphone with VoIP. Now, when we move around, we always have the problem that the connection to the WLAN is lost

Now I know meshing privately with Unfi and AVM. Here the client in the network is passed through from one access point to the next access point when the client moves.

I've already researched a lot about mesh at Meraki. But I can't quite make out of it. If I have read and understood correctly, there is the possibility of using an AccessPoint as a gateway and as a repeater. Depending on whether there is a connection to the network or not. So I can easily illuminate a large area.

Using the function I have described to transfer a subscriber from one access point to the next, as e.g. AVM offers, I find nothing.

I stood under an access point with my smartphone and had almost no reception. The access point is fine. After reconnecting, I was on it.

Does this function simply not exist or is it not described.

I hope I could describe my problem.

Thank you in advance to the community.

1 Accepted Solution
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The problem you are talking about is not mesh, it is roaming where a client transitions from one AP to the other. Roaming can be assisted by the AP and Meraki APs have this ability, but it is the client to decide what to do. This decision is based on many factors. iOS devices roam differently when transferring data compared to when they do net transfer data.

The most important thing is to have a proper WLAN design done.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The problem you are talking about is not mesh, it is roaming where a client transitions from one AP to the other. Roaming can be assisted by the AP and Meraki APs have this ability, but it is the client to decide what to do. This decision is based on many factors. iOS devices roam differently when transferring data compared to when they do net transfer data.

The most important thing is to have a proper WLAN design done.

In fact, I have to say, was that the right push that I needed.
I found the 802.11r switch under "wireless / AccessControl". this was not active. In connection

After activating it, i was able to notice a significant improvement with our Alcatel OpenTouch app for telephony. The severe disconnections seem to have been resolved.

The reference from UCcert with the document goes in the right direction for our second part. We have already used this experimentally in the LAN area with a VoLAN. It works very well.

Thank you for your commitment

Stoppi

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @Stoppi , take a read through this document:

https://meraki.cisco.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/meraki_whitepaper_msvoip.pdf

And as @KarstenI  states you must get a wireless survey done.  Especially if voice is key.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Make sure you are using "bridge" mode and not NAT mode on your SSID.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels