Meraki MR70 for point-to-point mesh / wireless bridge?

SOLVED
kirbyz
Conversationalist

Meraki MR70 for point-to-point mesh / wireless bridge?

kirbyz_1-1632451345706.png

Hi Community, 

I am looking forward to make a demo lab in our office and planning to use MR70 as wireless mesh even though it has omni directional antennas. May I know if the above setup would be feasible? Otherwise, please recommend an alternative for MR70.

Also, I want to know the maximum range for point to point of MR70?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PaulMcG
Getting noticed

Your setup as pictured should work.  But Meraki AP have limited functions when deployed as a wireless bridge.  Only one vlan can be used, so if you want to have seperate vlans on the other end of the bridge, you would need to use the routing capabilities of the MS210.  All documented here.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/WiFi_Basics_and_Best_Practices/Extending_the_LAN_with_a_Wireless...

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
PaulMcG
Getting noticed

Your setup as pictured should work.  But Meraki AP have limited functions when deployed as a wireless bridge.  Only one vlan can be used, so if you want to have seperate vlans on the other end of the bridge, you would need to use the routing capabilities of the MS210.  All documented here.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/WiFi_Basics_and_Best_Practices/Extending_the_LAN_with_a_Wireless...

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@PaulMcG you should be okay for a demo with this, but an MR76 with a narrow beam antenna would be better if you need the bridge to be more than a few tens of metres.

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

this actually won't work/is not supported. the MR36 will not come up. you will need a layer 3 switch on the far side and the MR36 needs to be on a layer 3 network behind that switch.

kirbyz
Conversationalist

Do you mean a full layer 3 switch like the MS250 with DHCP Server capabilities?

MS210 minimum. In that case you would need to host the DHCP on some other device like an external DHCP server.

@Ryan_Miles I know things have moved on since this thread so just wanted to check out if we can now do this using MR76's.

I have a remote building that I need to extend the network into.  The remote building will have a switch and needs to support multiple VLANs (cameras and users etc).

I don't need any clients to connect to the MR76's (although bonus if they could), I just need my VLANs that are available in the main site to be available on the switch in the remote building (over the road).  All interVLAN routing is currently done on MX's.

Will the remote building have more wired APs? If yes the switch will need to be L3 capable. If no APs and just wired cameras and clients onto multiple VLANs then you just need Support to enable Multi-VLAN Mesh on the repeater.

Thanks for the prompt reply Ryan. No, there will not be any MR's in the remote building, just VLANs on the switch there.

Sounds like a result, many thanks.

So I can get away with an MS120/130 in the remote building.

Ok then yes that's just Multi-VLAN Mesh like my example here

Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 07.47.10.png

Does the remote MS have to be in a different VLAN from the MS's on the local site. We have a Network Mgmnt VLAN where all the MS's, MR's etc have static IP's.

No. As my diagram shows the switches on both sides are in VLAN 72 for their mgmt IP.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels