Marking an access point offline?

SOLVED
shuang1
Conversationalist

Marking an access point offline?

Besides unclaiming an unused access point, is there a way to mark one as offline?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The red bar goes away after a week
Or, remove it from the network and it will go green
I believe if you add it back, after removing it, then it will just show gray, but if not, then just leave it removed from the network until your ready to add it back.
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
merakichamp
Building a reputation

@shuang1  sorry what do you mean? are you trying to say how will you know the AP is offline?

So we brought an access point online for testing, but now the ap will be offline for the next few weeks - so our dashboard shows red. 

When I say "marking as offline", I mean telling the dashboard to not expect healthchecks from this device.

The red bar goes away after a week
Or, remove it from the network and it will go green
I believe if you add it back, after removing it, then it will just show gray, but if not, then just leave it removed from the network until your ready to add it back.
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

That's correct, it'll remain red (offline) up to the point where it becomes gray (dormant) but the simplest way is to remove it from the network so the AP will just be sitting in Organization > Inventory until you need it again.  

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Be careful as if you leave it in the inventory but not in a network, it can be claimed by someone else.  Best option if you don't like the option of waiting for a week is to create a spare network to park unused Meraki hardware in, access points or other.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels