MR42 range v MR52

RumorConsumer
Head in the Cloud

MR42 range v MR52

My friends - Is there likely to be any difference in terms of range or signal penetration through walls? 

I have a number of spaces where it would be handy to only use one access point and so if it means using a slightly bigger one I’m fine with it. Right now I have a space I’m thinking of with a 42 with an adjacent room that’s currently spotty and I’m not sure it would reach if I use the 52 but curious. Is there a technical difference?

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
Fortune 100 Tech veteran/refugee.
4 REPLIES 4
Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@RumorConsumer : check the difference, apart from it nothing special different 

77997DA3-CBCE-4D31-B03B-5730914A8AAD.jpeg 

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com

Ok i have seen this and I cant tell what I should be looking at? Is there a figure indicating transmit power I should be paying attention to? I dont get it. Which one will have more signal penetration through materials/will be received at longer range all other variables remaining equal?

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

@RumorConsumer there are some minor differences between the two and technically the MR52 may perform marginally better. The MR52 is a 4x4 array and so can use an additional signal path for MRC. But most clients are only a 2x2 or 3x3 antenna array, and so any benefit in one direction may be lost on the other direction.

If there is a benefit its going to be minor, and if your current experience is that bad then you are better of putting in another access point, its going to be a much better solution.

Also, keep in mind that the MR42 and MR52 are end of sale at the end of July - or sooner if Meraki hits supply issues. So you may need to consider what your next move is. Again, a Wifi 6 access point (MR44, MR46, MR56) may perform slightly better (due to some of the technical advances) but any improvement will likely only be minor and again I'd be suggesting you're better off putting an additional AP in.

Excellent advice, thank you. The 52, if I’m hearing you correctly, could work better in a situation where it’s between two areas and both of them are somewhat difficult to reach and so you’ve got to spatial streams available for each one basically. Like if the access point has to go in different directions to connect to clients the more potential streams the better.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels