MR33 Specification Inquiry

Enrico_Romero
Here to help

MR33 Specification Inquiry

Hi Team,

I would like to seek assistance if these features are supported by Meraki AP MR33.

The features in questioned are:

AAA using TACACS+

Support PKI (Public Key Infrastructure, ex. PN-PKI)

Once authenticated there will be a RATE LIMIT for an individual Username

How does SMS Authentication works? What are needed for the TWILIO Account? What protocol TWILIO use as Verification?

Report Granularity per User

What are included in SNMPv2c?

Hoping to get a response from you guys.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Enrico

9 REPLIES 9
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

• AAA using TACACS+
  • Support PKI (Public Key Infrastructure, ex. PN-PKI)
    • For authenticating clients, such as EAP-TLS and when used with PEAP, yes.
  • Once authenticated there will be a RATE LIMIT for an individual Username
    • You can apply group policies per user, which supports per user rate limits.  In the context you are describing, this would be done using a RADIUS server.
  • How does SMS Authentication works? What are needed for the TWILIO Account? What protocol TWILIO use as Verification?
    • I don't know.  Check out this page, and scroll down to "SMS Splash Page Authentication".
  • Report Granularity per User
    • Hmm, the reporting is per-machine.  So if two different people log into the same machine you wont get what you want.  If every person has their own machine it will be ok.
  • What are included in SNMPv2c?
    • SNMPv2c is supported - but if you are using this you probably have not appreciated what comes with cloud management - because you would not want to go back to doing things like they used to in the old days with SNMP.

SMS authentication is known to be insecure, move to something certificate based.

As @PhilipDAth says, there is no point in managing Meraki kit the way non-Cloud based networks are managed, otherwise you are missing most of the benefits.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel

Hi @PhilipDAth,

Thank you for answering my previous questions.

In addition to.

For the SNMPv2c, they will have a third party NMS and snmp 2c is what they'll need for independent monitoring.

What are the coverage of Meraki's SNMPv2c?

Thanks again.

Best regards,

Enrico

What do you mean by "coverage" of snmpv2c?

What are protocols under SNMPv2c that the client can utilize for their Third party NMS?

That questions doesn't make sense. Snmpv2c is a protocol and doesn't really have protocols underneath of it. There are snmpv2c oids but the list would be massive and I wouldn't care to try and reproduce that.

In summary, the SNMPv2c of Meraki can be integrated in a Third Party NMS?

Yes it can but it is not always simple to do so.

@Enrico_Romero

Most of us carry out due diligence before committing to a new product. I am curious as what was the USP that made Meraki your organisation's choice?

For managing WLANs based upon Meraki hardware and software, the best results will be gained by using the Meraki software, which produces a great deal of useful management information. The very strong likelihood is that the Meraki reports will be more useful than those of some generalised system.

In the first place I'd set up a pilot project and become familiar with the product, its strengths and how it is managed, then, if it is still relevant develop a strategy whereby useful SNMP information is forwarded to the overall NMS.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels