MR33 AP

SOLVED
Stef_Thumser
Here to help

MR33 AP

Throughput varies from 40 mbps to 240 mbps without changing settings.

Anyone suggestions how to set radio and/or channels for max. throughput ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Problem solved, thanks everyone for their efforts !

The problem was that even if sitting on it it only produced 40Mb/s on client and on the MR33 itself.

Which was a lot different right after initializing the device for the first time.

Checked all the proposed settings, set Vlan from "0" to nothing but with no result. No traffic shaping or firewall rules established.

Ended up resettting to factory defaults, again Vlan to nothing and now its working just fine. Radio settings on max.

Strange enough it took about  15 minutes to reinitialize including temporarily vanishing of the SSID and beeing unable to reconnect by occasion. Seems like there was more to do than just restart?!

Troughput now 250/40 Mb/s on client and 210Mb/s on the MR while "sitting on it"  with  1GB PoE injector and Netgaer 4port unmanaged up second floor. First floor still 140Mb/s. Basement 80Mb/s.

I am fine with that, now to see if there is a cure for that MX65W which is unwilling to do more than 250Mb/s. 

Regards

Stef

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Disable 2.4Ghz on the SSID.  Only use the 5Ghz spectrum.

Thanks for answering.

Unfortunately I have to use both frequencies simultaniously so that is not an option.

Every simple router for much less can handle this. I am sure the MR33 can, too.

Hopefully I can figure it out or someone else can help.

Not sure if this isn´t a PoE issue or a problem with an unmanaged "rogue" switch ;-). Shouldn´t be but who knows...

Didn´t work unfortunately.
Thanks for your efforts
SergeD
Here to help

Could you elaborate a bit more please?

I try to be a little more specific:

MR33 is plugged in in an unmanaged 4-port Netgear switch en powered by an PoE injector as I am testing it on my office desk ;-).

LAN speed (also behind this switch!) and in network is about 300-400Mb/s but the MR33 only produces (now) about 100Mb/s.

It is use it in Dual band operation mode with Band Steering which made it a bit faster. From 40 to now 100Mb/s.

Radio settings:

2.4GHz channel; auto/target power 16

5.0GHz channel, auto/target power 26 

Both default indoor profile

Client IP ass uses NAT Mode, no VLan tagging nor content filtering rules or any sort of traffic shaping used.

Hope this helps

Is the current channel on 5GHz running at 80 Mhz on the AP? 

Is your laptop or device you are testing from capable of 802.11AC at 2x2? 

To get around 400Mbps, you probably need to sit next to the AP, which you are but MR33 isn't really a full blown AC AP. The aggregate from both bands is about 1.3Gbps for the AP.

You getting 100Mbps actual throughput seems about ok to me.

Problem solved, thanks everyone for their efforts !

The problem was that even if sitting on it it only produced 40Mb/s on client and on the MR33 itself.

Which was a lot different right after initializing the device for the first time.

Checked all the proposed settings, set Vlan from "0" to nothing but with no result. No traffic shaping or firewall rules established.

Ended up resettting to factory defaults, again Vlan to nothing and now its working just fine. Radio settings on max.

Strange enough it took about  15 minutes to reinitialize including temporarily vanishing of the SSID and beeing unable to reconnect by occasion. Seems like there was more to do than just restart?!

Troughput now 250/40 Mb/s on client and 210Mb/s on the MR while "sitting on it"  with  1GB PoE injector and Netgaer 4port unmanaged up second floor. First floor still 140Mb/s. Basement 80Mb/s.

I am fine with that, now to see if there is a cure for that MX65W which is unwilling to do more than 250Mb/s. 

Regards

Stef

Forgot to thank you for replying, apologies!
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

you testing from the ap itself or from a client ? make sure your client has a good wifi adapter, not like 1x1 . 

make sure autonegotiation is 1Gb between ap and switch and also the powerinjector is 1Gb.

set minimum bitrate to 12+ . make sure you connect to 5ghz. small cells/lower dbm is better for performance.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels