How to Backup Meraki MR Configuration

Solved
Firman_S
Conversationalist

How to Backup Meraki MR Configuration

I got question from our client about how to backup the meraki MR access point configuration, the traditional ways so they can just put in the config, when maybe one of the AP need to be replaced or wrong configuration . I know I can use the historical changes or the templates that provided by the dashboard. Is there any workaround about this ? 

1 Accepted Solution
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Most importantly, exchanging an AP doesn't need a new config. The config is in the dashboard network and gets pushed to all APs in the network by default.

If you want to have a backup as a disaster recovery mechanism, best is to pull all config by API. Or directly configure the network with the API so you can just apply all API calls to a different network.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Most importantly, exchanging an AP doesn't need a new config. The config is in the dashboard network and gets pushed to all APs in the network by default.

If you want to have a backup as a disaster recovery mechanism, best is to pull all config by API. Or directly configure the network with the API so you can just apply all API calls to a different network.

CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

In addition to @KarstenI you could leverage @PhilipDAth great Meraki Backup script.

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi, not sure if anyone can help, but I receive the output below when running backup_configs.py against my meraki organisation.

2022-06-07 09:31:13 meraki.aio: INFO > Meraki dashboard API session initialized with these parameters: {'version': '1.22.0', 'api_key': '************************************94ff', 'base_url': 'https://api.meraki.com/api/v1', 'single_request_timeout': 60, 'certificate_path': '', 'requests_proxy': '', 'wait_on_rate_limit': True, 'nginx_429_retry_wait_time': 60, 'action_batch_retry_wait_time': 60, 'retry_4xx_error': False, 'retry_4xx_error_wait_time': 60, 'maximum_retries': 4, 'simulate': False, 'be_geo_id': None, 'caller': None, 'use_iterator_for_get_pages': False, 'maximum_concurrent_requests': 3}
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\users\******\appdata\local\programs\Python\Python39\backup-configs.py", line 700, in <module>
main(sys.argv[1:])
File "C:\users\******\appdata\local\programs\Python\Python39\backup-configs.py", line 689, in main
backup_path, time_ran, calls_made = run_backup(api_key, org_id, filter_tag)
File "C:\users\******\appdata\local\programs\Python\Python39\backup-configs.py", line 593, in run_backup
loop.run_until_complete(main_async(api_key, current_operations, input_mappings, filter_tag))
File "C:\Users\******\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python39\lib\asyncio\base_events.py", line 647, in run_until_complete
return future.result()
File "C:\users\******\appdata\local\programs\Python\Python39\backup-configs.py", line 496, in main_async
await backup_org(dashboard, endpoints)
File "C:\users\******\appdata\local\programs\Python\Python39\backup-configs.py", line 172, in backup_org
logic = ep['Logic']
KeyError: 'Logic'

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels