How does speed affect the velocity test?

SOLVED
athan1234
Building a reputation

How does speed affect the velocity test?

Dear all:

When my client tests the internet speed, there are a AP zone some AP in where the test speed is lower than the rest of the AP´s.

I saw in the topology that the major connection between the APs, whose test velocities are lower, is 10 G

The remaining area is where the AP's regular test velocities is the 20 G.

Do you think it would be an issue ?

I am aware that there are some circustancies, though RF

athan1234_0-1675956301106.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

With this little traffic it is quite certain that having "only" 10G is not the problem. Moving to 20G with a LAG will improve reliability but will not solve the problem. Now you have to look for other differences between these two places. For example AP config/models/problems/channels etc.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Look at the dashboard if these 10G links are already saturated. If yes, not only the speed-tests are affected, also the user-experience should be limited.

athan1234
Building a reputation

@KarstenI  thanks for yor reply

Where on the dashboard can I look?
So I suppose it is all the total traffic, and I want to know how much traffic there is in this region overall.

If you look at my screen shot, the traffic usage is 782 Gb on one side and 574 Gb on the other.

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You need to look at the individual ports that connect your switches:

KarstenI_0-1676020724614.png

If you see a traffic rate that approaches the line rate it's time to add some links to the LAG or move to a faster interface.

The pure amount of traffic is not really relevant as it doesn't tell if it is bursty.

athan1234
Building a reputation

Thanks I will check it

athan1234
Building a reputation

I'm examining the ports, but it doesn't seem to be the issue?
Is it not?

athan1234_2-1676022994699.png

athan1234_1-1676022919253.png

athan1234_0-1676022842978.png

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

With this little traffic it is quite certain that having "only" 10G is not the problem. Moving to 20G with a LAG will improve reliability but will not solve the problem. Now you have to look for other differences between these two places. For example AP config/models/problems/channels etc.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels