Hidden SSID on my network?

MarcAbaya
New here

Hidden SSID on my network?

Yesterday, I was testing my new WIFI scanning software (inSSIDer) and notice that my APs are broadcasting a hidden SSID as shown below:

Capture.PNG

I don't recognize those MAC address but they are showing as Meraki and it's using the same channels as my APs. I check my list of SSIDs to make sure but they aren't. They are also not hidden in "SSID availability". Any ideas how to check this?

7 REPLIES 7
MarcAbaya
New here

I also want to make sure that this is not just a bug for the INSSIDER software.

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

It's the mesh SSID. You can disable it under Network-wide > General.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I agree with @jdsilva it is for MESH networking - but I don't believe it can be turned off via the Dashboard.

It can be disabled, but I believe you have to request support to enable the toggle for it though. You did in the past anyhow. Not sure if they've defaulted it to being view-able for all or not.

11111111.JPG

Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

This Mesh setting appears to be enabled by default now. Nice! Now I can turn it off without opening a case with Meraki support.

hk
Conversationalist

I can confirm with latetest SW 29.5.1 and New "Design Dashboard" enabled,
that the Mesh check box is per default there, and that the HIDDEN SSIDs go away when Mesh is set to disabled.

Those are used for mesh routing and I believe some may be for how MRs handle band steering.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels