Force Static IP

SOLVED
Asavoy
Building a reputation

Force Static IP

Anybody have any idea how to force my MR34s to use the static IP that has been set on them?

The amount of "bad IP/bad DNS", when there's no underlying issue, is getting pretty ridiculous these days.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

set ip in native vlan.  make sure the vlan field on the ap is empty

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

I don't have any bad IP/bad DNS issues, and I've got lots of sites and been around a while. It sounds like an underlying issue that has nothing to do with the AP having a static or dynamic IP.

I will say that the static IP is a pain to deal with and as long as they get any IP to get Internet, it shouldn't matter.

However if you insist, you can either configure it yourself on the AP page by clicking on the pencil icon, or go to your DHCP server and set reservations for the AP mac addresses.
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
Asavoy
Building a reputation

@NolanHerring Oh, they're set in that section of the individual setup page! I had an problem with an AT&T supplied switch that caused issues with my DHCP/DNS for a few sites. It was a MetroLan mesh network with MS320s at the edge of each site relaying DHCP to a Windows server. Long story short, reservations that had existed before me were failing, so I had to change some devices to static IP and remove the reservations. Worked fine for devices like network printers and computers, but the MR34s refused to accept or use their static settings.

I recently switched to a new mesh and equipment, still using the MS320s at the sites, and still have multiple random 'bad ip assignment' or 'bad DNS' for no discernible reason. Some will be fine for 3+ days and then just decide 'whatever dude, here's a message'. Could be a single one at 4am, or multiple, or varying times between 80% at one site. If it was all WAPs attached to a specific switch, somewhere along the line, doing it at the same time, at least I'd know what the heck to trace. But this? Quite aggravating, really.

Nash
Kind of a big deal

How's your switchports configured? Trunk vs. access? What's your vlan situation?

If you connect another device, with the AP's static IP configured, to that AP's switchport, what happens? Can you ping gw? Can you talk out?

Asavoy
Building a reputation

@Nash- I eliminated every single trunk port in my networks except at the edge uplinks. Each site utilizes 1 VLAN on the interior, and 1 VLAN on the exterior- no tagging. 90% of the traffic is wireless, with no VOIP or anything else substantial, so no point to over-complicate it. It's a mix of two point-to-point sites and three in a mesh, all connecting to a single switch before control is handed off to the county network. Sites are on separate scopes via the Windows server and the MS320s.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Asavoy  I've had this issue in the past with a couple of switches. Can you provide some screenshots of the settings so we can have a closer look. 

Asavoy
Building a reputation

@BlakeRichardson  Screenshots of the overall picture of the WAPs, and then a specific WAP or two?

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

set ip in native vlan.  make sure the vlan field on the ap is empty

Asavoy
Building a reputation

@ww

Interesting! I just compared two WAPs in the same building, one had VLAN specified and one didn't. So, removed VLAN from the one, reboot, and presto. 

PacerX
Getting noticed

This helped me also thanks @ww 

The Wandering Pacer
"Not all who wander are lost" - J. R. R. Tolkien
www.thewanderingpacer.com
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels