Ethernet to Wifi adapter

SOLVED
Karl_Jacobsen
Getting noticed

Ethernet to Wifi adapter

Okay folks, here an interesting one.... I have a public wireless network in my Meraki environment that is in NAT mode using Meraki DHCP. I have a few business class multifunction copiers I'd like to use on this network as a printer. I've seen Ethernet to wireless adapters from companies like Netgear and IO but they rely on WPS which isn't supported under Meraki. Has anyone done something like this? I know it's a little unorthodox but this is for use maybe a handful of times a year. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

As far as model, a 3b or better will work just fine.

This was all the information I could find regarding how it was done (a while ago):

Setting up a Raspberry Pi as a Wi-Fi <---> to <---> Ethernet Bridge:

• Configure wireless settings to connect to your SSID
    • Edit the wpa_supplicant.conf 

Sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
Country=US
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
network={
ssid="<your_SSID_here>"
key_mgmt=NONE  #My SSID in this example is OPEN​

Sudo crontab -e #if asked use nano
@reboot sh /home/pi/wifi-to-eth-route.sh &

• Restart raspberry pi

Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

We've dabbled with some of the IO gear, not sure what you mean by WPS being required. We set it up on a WPA2/PSK network just fine.

However the device sucked and we ended up using a Raspberry Pi instead, much better and more robust. Used it to connect some Arlo cameras to the wireless since they didn't have Wi-Fi support if I remember correctly.
TwitterLinkedIn

I would do what @NolanHerring suggested because you do not want WPS as a method of authentication.

Enthusiast

Thanks Nolan... Do you have a link to info on the Raspberry Pi you used?

Nash
Kind of a big deal

Just a quick question, is there a reason why you're not wiring the printers in and then smacking them on the same vlan as the wireless?

There's no wired connections close to where they need to go. There's one or two WAPs there and nothing else.

As far as model, a 3b or better will work just fine.

This was all the information I could find regarding how it was done (a while ago):

Setting up a Raspberry Pi as a Wi-Fi <---> to <---> Ethernet Bridge:

• Configure wireless settings to connect to your SSID
    • Edit the wpa_supplicant.conf 

Sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
Country=US
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
network={
ssid="<your_SSID_here>"
key_mgmt=NONE  #My SSID in this example is OPEN​

Sudo crontab -e #if asked use nano
@reboot sh /home/pi/wifi-to-eth-route.sh &

• Restart raspberry pi

TwitterLinkedIn
Kamome
Building a reputation

I'm using old Buffalo 54G router with dd-wrt firmware as wireless bridge to connect my old HP laser printer equipped with wired Jetdirect addon into home wireless network. If you have some old wireless router supports dd-wrt, how about recycle it as useful bridge?

- Supported devices : https://dd-wrt.com/support/router-database/ (Search your router model name)
- Tutorial for wireless bridge : https://forum.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels