EOL/EOS/EOST QUERY

SOLVED
cisco_Meraki
Getting noticed

EOL/EOS/EOST QUERY

Good day;

Just want to find out.

If a certain hardware has gone EOL/EOS, can i still order its license if my license has expired?

E.G MR12-HW has gone EOL/EOS but is still under support.

If the hardware  has gone EOST(End of support) can i still be able to buy its license when it has expired?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Correct, AP licenses (as well as MC, MV and SM licenses) are device-agnostic.  Only the MS and MX licenses are specific to the actual model of switch or security appliance.  If you have 100 AP licenses, does not matter if you have really old MR12 APs (they'll still run, just not supported) or really new MR53E APs and anything in between, an AP license is an AP license and doesn't care what model of hardware is running.  More info here, I think you've already seen it, but for other community members reading: Meraki EoL/EoS info and list of products: https://meraki.cisco.com/support/#policies 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

i would say yes because there is no difference in ap license types. so one ap license can be used on any ap.

more information on support here https://meraki.cisco.com/support/#policies

MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Correct, AP licenses (as well as MC, MV and SM licenses) are device-agnostic.  Only the MS and MX licenses are specific to the actual model of switch or security appliance.  If you have 100 AP licenses, does not matter if you have really old MR12 APs (they'll still run, just not supported) or really new MR53E APs and anything in between, an AP license is an AP license and doesn't care what model of hardware is running.  More info here, I think you've already seen it, but for other community members reading: Meraki EoL/EoS info and list of products: https://meraki.cisco.com/support/#policies 

Thank you so much Guys for your replies

Just a quick question

When you are saying yes... are you saying yes to all my quesries?

Bacause i 'am really concerned about the EOST- for example lets say i have mx64  which is EOL/EOS & EOST, can i still be able to purchase its license-be an enterprise license/advance secutrity license?

Generally speaking, I'd say to avoid that situation where you're purchasing fresh licenses for equipment that has gone End-of-Support, which it typically 5 to 6 years after the End-of-Sale date.  EOST equipment is considered obsolete.  You can generally purchase fresh licenses before the EOST date, but not after. 

For example, the MS22/22P and MS42/42P switches all went End-of-Sale back in April 2014, and they can no longer be purchased.  The licenses however, can be.  I confirmed just now in CCW (Cisco Commerce Workspace) that the license SKUs are still in the system, and they do have "EOS" in the description but they are still orderable.  I would not expect them to be orderable after EOST.  But I suppose you could purchase a 5-year license today, which would last until 2023, even though the switches go EOST in 2021.  That would perhaps keep Dashboard happy from a licensing perspective, but you'd have no support, could run into firmware upgrade issues, have no RMAs for a failed switch for example.  And when there was a "License Problem" warning message come 2023, that would be almost 10 years after the equipment was announced EoS, and should be retired if it wasn't already.  

If you wanted to keep some equipment around like in a lab (I have some Cisco switches that went EOST like 3 or 4 years ago) then I suppose you could keep them in a separate network and purchase the appropriate licensing before the EOST date.

Hope that helps.  I'll double check on this and post back if I find out something different.

Morning Dave

Thank you so much for your reply, this is fulfilling and well expailned.

Awesome!!!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels