DHCP issues in Wireless network with version MR29.4.1 and MR29.5.1

eastoscar
Here to help

DHCP issues in Wireless network with version MR29.4.1 and MR29.5.1

Hello community,

I have many of these log entries in my connection logs:

Client made a request to the DHCP server, but the DHCP server rejected the client's request.

Client made a request to the DHCP server, but it did not respond

I was already able to rule out the DHCP server because I initially used the Windows DHCP and later the DHCP server of a Meraki MX. I have this issues on the following MR Versions:
MR29.4.1

MR29.5.1

I recognized this logs only with Windows clients, but I don't have many others in my network so I can not really enclose...

Does anyone else have these problems?

regards Daniel

7 Replies 7
Erminux
Comes here often

Yes, I'm having the exact same issues. I'm just physically plugging everyone in as don't have the time to investigate but it is really annoying. 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

How are your wireless networks configured, we don't have that issue on 29.5 and 29.5.1

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Client made a request to the DHCP server, but the DHCP server rejected the client's request   Means that the DHCP server responded with a DHCP NACK.  Take a packet capture and look for DHCP NACKS. Most of the time they are caused because the client is requesting an IP that is not valid on that subnet ( eg : client is comming from floor X or building Y with IP 2.2.2.2 , but vlan that the client is connected is in the range 3.3.3.0/24 )

WB
Building a reputation

Have the correct VLAN setup on your SSIDs? We have over 30 individual networks running on 29.4.1 with no DHCP issues..

yes, I checked it...

eastoscar
Here to help

Hi,
I know that clients will do a DHCP request when they roam and that it is possible to that a different IP is in the request... but in my environment this should not be the case. The main problem I have is that sometimes clients request IPs and they immediately lose it and take another one. This happens 3-4 times till the client claimes his IP...  The old IP Address are marked as Bad Address in the DHCP Server scope. The only log I see in the same time as this happens to random clients in my wifi are the above 2 log messages.

eastoscar
Here to help

Hey, problem was that the Client Balancing behavior changed with MR29.1 Version.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Other_Topics/Client_Balancing#Client_Balancing_Behavior_-_MR_29....

For some reason the client flapped between two AccessPoints and because of that the client did send a lot of DHCP Requests, Discovers and DHCP Decline messages... I turned off Client Balancing and it seems to be OK.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels