static ip

Gislavedshus
Getting noticed

static ip

i try to change ip address for the switch, i can write it and change but practically its not change but its find it in the static ip. i think because i am not sitting i the same vlan för static ip, are this right?

my question is. must i am sitting in the the same vlan which i write it to see static ip address( must connect from the same vlan switch i wrote it in the static ip )?

Bassam Addas
20 REPLIES 20
MarcP
Kind of a big deal

When your Switch is online in the dashboard, and you change the IP in the dashboard, you do not need to be on site to see this. The dashboard will show you the static IP and you can be sure it has been changed.

If your routing is correct, you will be able to ping the new static IP of your switch from remote computer.

MarcP_0-1649665032660.png

Dashboard normally is always able to ping - not if offline 😛

I made the expierience that it may take minutes or even hours until it has been changed, from time to time. Don´t know why this is happening sometimes. 

Last time I had this was last week. Changed IP from dhcp to static and it did not change for over an hour. Then I was done for the day, came back the next morning and all was fine.

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Changing the IP on the dashboard should push the change to the switch, assuming the switch is reachable at the time.

If the switch cannot reach the Meraki cloud, it will take the updated configuration the next time it can connect.

You can always check and change the IP address of the device from its local status page.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Other_Topics/Assigning_a_Static_IP_Address

Gislavedshus
Getting noticed

Skärmklipp.PNGits not change?

Bassam Addas
Gislavedshus
Getting noticed

i dont now whay ip static not fix, i waiting more than 2 ahour but not change, and you told me its not matter where i am sitting. and i check also in uplink configuration .

Bassam Addas
MarcP
Kind of a big deal

When you blur everything we can´t see possible misstakes. It would be enough to blur the public IP.

Furthermore as described it can take several hours sometimes. I don´t have an explanation for that.

As it is online and reachable by the dashboard (ping works from dashboard (select the switch, top right "tools" - ping switch)?) you may want to restart das switch to force an config update.

Gislavedshus
Getting noticed

yes i kan ping switch

Bassam Addas
MarcP
Kind of a big deal

ok, great.

Do you want to share the IP settings once again, but only with blured public IP?

Did you restart the switch - from dashboard (Switch - tools - restart)?

Gislavedshus
Getting noticed

Skärmklipp.PNGrestart klart

Bassam Addas
MarcP
Kind of a big deal

Looks correctly. restart done, ok

This IP range is completely new on this site and the settings on the other end of the switche´s Uplink are correct as well?

I would recomment to wait till tomorrow.v Maybe to restart it again.

Very sorry to write this down, but this is the only way it worked for me in the past. And this was suitable for me, as I was not in a hurry.

Edit: you can make the local status page accessable from "outsite" - Network-wide - general 

MarcP_0-1649689072245.png

Maybe you can see something on the status page. Or try to configure it there. Hopefully this won´t make it worse 😉

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Note that if you specify a static IP configuration that does not work, and that results in the switch being cut off from the Meraki cloud - that the change will be rolled back automatically to the previous working configuration.

Perhaps this is the issue you are having.

MarcP
Kind of a big deal

@Gislavedshus all went well?

Gislavedshus
Getting noticed

No, its still same problem

Bassam Addas
MarcP
Kind of a big deal

did you verify @PhilipDAth comment?

i have been checked ip address from firewall, its working good, also i dashboard i can pinga switchen.

Bassam Addas
MarcP
Kind of a big deal

Have you check if the IP you chose for the switch as future static IP is not already in use?

Have you veryfied the new static IP is allowed to reach the internet on the necessary ports?

MarcP
Kind of a big deal

Any news? actually I´m interessted 😄

No🤔

Bassam Addas

If you have rebooted the switch and it still will not let you change the Static IP address, then you  might need to reset the switch and try again.

Gislavedshus
Getting noticed

it's working now, because we have more vlan divided by regions so i went to the region where switch would be sitting. when i connected the switch there, took static ip address direct.

thank you very much

Bassam Addas
MarcP
Kind of a big deal

sounds like an IP address from another region / location was taken?
That would of course explain why it didn't work. Since the subnet was not known. Then, as mentioned, the device makes a fallback to the old - working - address.

However, great it got solved.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels