my meraki MS120-8 will work only with a media converter (fiber to copper) not with SFP.

HCAD
Conversationalist

my meraki MS120-8 will work only with a media converter (fiber to copper) not with SFP.

i have a MS120-8 meraki switch used in remote location for our DR systems, when trying to connect a single mode fiver , using a single mode SFP directly to the switch, i was not able to get connection, but when i use a media converter, (fiber to copper) the switch comes online. please help

8 REPLIES 8
Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

I use a copper transceiver in the SFP socket of an MS120-8 FP, with no issues. It uplinks to an MX. The same transceiver has previously been used in other manufacturers' equipment without issues.

SFP module AVAGO - 1000BASE-T: 1.3 Gbps (Part ABCU-5710RZ-HP1, Serial: AN10019Z61 )

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Yeh as @Uberseehandel  is alluding to, you're likely using an unsupported SFP. All Meraki devices with SFP ports support a variety of fibre based SFP's. You'll need to ether use the genuine Meraki or Cisco parts, or find a another compatible SFP.

HCAD
Conversationalist

im using a fiberstore SFP, im not sure if it is compatible or not.

NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

The only way that I know of to know if an SFP is compatible or not, is to try it.

In your case, it does not appear to be supported/compatible.
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

@HCAD If your SFP is supported it should show up on the switch port details page.

image.png

@jdsilva wrote:

Yeh as @Uberseehandel  is alluding to, you're likely using an unsupported SFP. All Meraki devices with SFP ports support a variety of fibre based SFP's. You'll need to ether use the genuine Meraki or Cisco parts, or find a another compatible SFP.

When I was having issues with another manufacturer's 8 PoE +2 SFP switch, I discovered that the switch used generic Broadcom hardware. Now, I have the two switches next to each other, the similarities are striking. It would make total sense to use Broadcom hardware for a small access switch. I like these switches because they are silent. They have some drawbacks in common.  Neither is ideal if handling even rudimentary multicast video streams.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
redsector
Head in the Cloud

I don´t know if fibre-store is meant as fibre-channel. Fibre-channel SFP´s doesn´t work in a LAN-switch.

Fiberstore is a brand.

@HCAD do you have an exact model number for the sfp? Is it a 1Gbps SFP?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels