lost connection to printer after enable sticky mac on printer's port

Kave
Getting noticed

lost connection to printer after enable sticky mac on printer's port

when I enable sticky mac on printer I will be lost ping to it.  just printer connected to port and nothing connected to the same port.

kav noroozi
7 REPLIES 7
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Does the MAC address of the printer appear in the list? Did you manually add it, or did you let it get added automatically?

i let the machine learn MAC from the printer, after I set MAC manually it is working.

kav noroozi
antonis_sp
Building a reputation

Once you enable sticky mac, check on the switch port config if the mac of the printer is added on the whitelist.

antonis_sp_0-1582105091711.png

If you do not see the mac of the printer added, check with another device (laptop).

If you see a mac added, check if it is the same with the printer. If it is not, delete it so that it can be automatically populated again.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm thinking this might be because the printer is not generating any traffic for the switch to learn.  Try giving the printer a power cycle after enabling this feature and hopefully it will at least send out an ARP packet so the switch has something to learn.

Otherwise manually enter the MAC address.

@PhilipDAth wrote:

I'm thinking this might be because the printer is not generating any traffic for the switch to learn.  Try giving the printer a power cycle after enabling this feature and hopefully it will at least send out an ARP packet so the switch has something to learn.

Otherwise manually enter the MAC address.

I thought about that too. Is the port completely shut off before the endpoint sends something?

If not, even if the printer is passive, it should still get the broadcasted ARP request that precedes the pings. And when it does its reply should populate the sticky MAC list if there's free space, right?

>If not, even if the printer is passive, it should still get the broadcasted ARP request that precedes the pings. And when it does its reply should populate the sticky MAC list if there's free space, right?

To the best of my knowledge, traffic is not forward to a port-security port (Cisco Enterprise or Meraki) unless it has something in its MAC address list.  This is consistent with the behaviour of stopping a random person plugging in a machine and not being able to see anything.

I let the MS's Port learn MAC from the printer, so it did not work, after I set MAC manually it is working.

looks like Printer does send ARp because i can see the Printer MAC when i check the details of the port, but MS port Security Can not catch it automatically.

Michaelnoroozi_0-1582183063066.png

kav noroozi
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels