igmp query with cisco catalyst

SOLVED
TFreer
Comes here often

igmp query with cisco catalyst

I am trying to set up PIM multicast routing between a cisco switch and  a meraki MS420. on the cisco side I am getting the following error from the meraki switch.

%IGMP-3-QUERY_INT_MISMATCH: Received a non-matching query interval 12, from querier address

I have change the "ip igmp query interval" from the cisco standard "60" to the rfc standard "125" and still get the same error.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
bentonious
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

This should be fixed as of switch firmware version 10.32 using the rfc standard 125 seconds.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Adam
Kind of a big deal

Try setting ip igmp query-interval 25 to see if it helps. 

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

I pass Source Specific Multicast (SSM) through a small Meraki switch without issues, so I can stream encrypted 4K videos. To do this, I ensure that IGMPv3 snooping is enabled. But the MX does not handle SSM, and there is no information as to when it might. As a workaround, I have ordered a router that does handle SSM to place ahead of the MX.

Mod_SSM_Solution.jpg

Ideally, I would have just put another MS switch ahead of the MX64 and used an IPv6 address, but my ISP has not fully rolled out IPv6 , yet and there are limitations as to what Meraki does with IPv6 presently. 

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What happens if you change the query interval to 12 to match the error message,

the errors go away when changing to 12. it looks like its a bug in the meraki query interval on the MS 420. the RFC standard is 125 and it looks like some one forgot the 5 at the end of the number.

There is a lengthy section in a Cisco document on the topic of IGMP query-interval

EG - 

The Cisco IOS software uses a default IGMP query interval of 60 seconds, which is different from the RFC standard default of 125 seconds. Using a lower default IGMP query interval of 60 seconds allows routers to stop forwarding traffic faster when a member crashes without sending leaves (in IGMPv2 or IGMPv3 environment), or if using IGMPv1: 3 * 60 seconds versus 3 * 125 seconds.

If a lower version IGMP-enabled interface (that is, an interface running IGMPv1 or v2) receives a higher version IGMP query (IGMPv3) with a different query interval, the following events will occur:

An error message in the following format will be displayed:
%IGMP-3-QUERY_INT_MISMATCH: Received a non-matching query interval <interval in seconds>, from querier address <ip-address>

There is too much to copy everything, but it is illuminating to read up on it.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
bentonious
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

This should be fixed as of switch firmware version 10.32 using the rfc standard 125 seconds.

Hello, the bug is still present! We have lived a nightmare with this. Fortunately the fix for 12 seconds help sorting out this issue. You don't imagine how it is for an entire hotel not to have TV for 24 hours before seeing this post!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels