configure secondary ip address on Meraki L3 switch

hmc25000
Getting noticed

configure secondary ip address on Meraki L3 switch

Hi, how do you configure a secondary ip address on an interface vlan on a Meraki L3 switch? WE have a superscope on a cisco network. With other words we have two /24 subnets on vlan 1. THe vlan 1 interface is configured with a primary and secondary ip address. Now we want to bring in a Meraki L3 switch to the routing in exactly the same way. Help is appreciated. Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Secondary addresses are not available on Meraki devices.

Anything I can do to get around this issue so that I'll have 2 ip addresses as gateway for 2 subnets in one vlan?

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

I think I'm obliged to say "Don't use Multinets!" here. It's not really a good practice other than for transition...

You could create a second L3 interface on a different VLAN, and the bridge those VLANs together with two back-to-back access ports. This would create a VLAN Hopping situation so your second subnet would be served by the SVI of another VLAN. But that's also bad practice...

I agree but that was already done and we cannot quickly remediate this issue. 

And I honestly don't like that solution either because we have more vlans on that network that are not super scoped.

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

I hear you. I'm not trying to be all preachy at you. But for anyone else that reads this at some later date in the future I think it's good to just state that. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels