Why do devices from other locations show up on local switches?

SOLVED
AMCapfixtures
Conversationalist

Why do devices from other locations show up on local switches?

I have devices from one location showing as connected to switches at another location.  How is this possible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

If your network is all Meraki based you shouldn’t have a problem - the comments I made were for if you have a mix of Meraki and non-Meraki switches. If you’ve a full Meraki network and you are seeing devices appear in places where they’re not then you’ll need to do some more digging. Might be worth opening a case with support, they might be able to work it out for you.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

Assuming if by 'devices' you are talking about end user computers etc., then the Meraki MS devices use the MAC address of devices to identify them. They're shown as being attached to the Meraki switch port on which that MAC address was last seen. Generally if you've got an all Meraki network this works fine. If however you have trunks in your network to non-Meraki devices then the Dashboard can show devices connected to these trunk ports, even though they're actually not physically connected to them (they're actually connected to the non-Meraki device or beyond). If this is the case then I believe you can contact support and they can effectively stop the Dashboard learning devices on these trunk ports.

Thank you Bruce, yes, computers, mobile devices, etc.  We are all Meraki (love it).  For example computer ws-galaxy is located in my building, connected to a switch here, but reports connected to the switch across the street.  If I'm understanding this correctly you're saying that because this computer controls the security in the building and talks to the security control panel across the street this is why it's mac address appears on the switch?  It[s not necessarily the switch the device is physically plugged in to.

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

If your network is all Meraki based you shouldn’t have a problem - the comments I made were for if you have a mix of Meraki and non-Meraki switches. If you’ve a full Meraki network and you are seeing devices appear in places where they’re not then you’ll need to do some more digging. Might be worth opening a case with support, they might be able to work it out for you.

STEBUT
Conversationalist

Thanks, this post was exactly what I was looking for.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels