Switchports display shows incorrect VLAN when using port profiles

Solved
Dunky
A model citizen

Switchports display shows incorrect VLAN when using port profiles

I have switchport that was originally configured in VLAN 1.

I have now applied a port profile (Early Access feature) which puts the port into VLAN 10 and enables the port.

However the Switching>Switchports screen still shows it as VLAN 1 and disabled as below:

Dunky_1-1688738654315.png

These are the original/profile settings:

Dunky_0-1688738432096.png

I find this very misleading as the VLAN/port state is showing as incorrect as they are overridden by the port profile

1 Accepted Solution

Ahhh thanks Ryan, saves me opening a case then.

Please to hear that the goal is to report the correct values 🙂

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15
RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This is the expected behavior.    I was wrong.

It is the same behavior as SecurePort , which also overrides the port config. You only see the overrides when clicking on the port and not from the Switching>Switchports page.

I haven't tried the APIs yet with PortProfiles but with SecurePort you can get the port config and the overrides ( which kinda solve the misleading part ) 

Dunky
A model citizen

OK, thanks.

I still think its misleading, I will have to tell our ppl to ignore what the Switch Ports display says in that case as they are so used to it, and its only correct if there isn't a profile applied 😉

I wonder why Meraki decided against displaying the actual active values in this display, I cant think of any logical reason not to?

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I can't confirm 100% that it is the expected behavior , but from my experience it is.

Is it misleading ? Yes. 

I would suggest opening a ticket just to make sure that it is expected.

IMO there should be 2 field on that page. "Actual config" and the "Running config/Overrides"

Dunky
A model citizen

I'll do that and see what they say 🙂

Will revert back when have an answer

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

It's a known issue is a better way to put it. The goal is to have it report the correct data. Work is still ongoing.

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Would that known issue also apply to SecurePort ( which is GA ) ?

Yes, as the two features rely on shared components.

I notice these issues are still there, is there any timeline as to when we should expect them to be fixed so that the Switching/Switch ports display shows the correct values from the profile rather than the ones on the actual port which are overridden?

Ahhh thanks Ryan, saves me opening a case then.

Please to hear that the goal is to report the correct values 🙂

No problem. I already chatted with MS PM last week on this all as I noticed it as well.

TimHughSmith
Getting noticed

Came to say exactly the same thing 🙂

Love the feature, but that is really annoying.

The other one, is that there is no <None> option for the Port Profile - if you were to set a profile and disable it later, the profile sticks.

So my practice so far.. (because I cannot deal with seeing the inconsistency) 🙂

- Before you apply a profile (or if you already have one, and things are out of whack)
- When you edit port or group of ports - you can toggle profile disabled, then adjust the values to what you want to see, then toggle profile on and save it.. (that will keep them looking the same initally)

- But kind of defeats purpose of profile (when you change it later, it'll be out again)

So I think best idea, is create a Default profile
Make that something that wont change. I.e. Trunk vlan 1 or whatever your standard is

Apply that to all ports + updating the non profile config as above.

Then apply your real profiles to ports.
Your values will be out of sync, but we know this, so hide them in the port list, and look at profile only (or drill in).
And any ports that have disabled profiles - you can set to Default

The issue I had with the profiles showing, means that if you filtered on profile, you could find ports that had a profile, but are not enabled now.

Anyway, they are my work arounds for now 🙂

MK2
Building a reputation

Hi 🙂

is there anything new on this topic? i'm just about to finish planning a larger LAN project and i'm not really sure if I should already use the port profiles during the rollout - because it's already quite confusing.

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Considering that it is not "fixed" for Ports configured by SecurePort , I don't think that any progress was made to fix that.

MK2
Building a reputation

That's a real pity, I had hoped that the topic would be treated with more seriousness.

K2_Josh
Building a reputation

I really wished that I knew about the current known issues related to port profiles before I started using them on a new deployment last week. This feature has great potential, and other vendors have been offering this functionality for MANY years.

I opened a case before I saw this post. They suggested that I use the Make a Wish function (which is now called Give Feedback as folks in the forums prob. all know). Anyways, this is what I submitted: "Port profiles DO NOT work as expected. There are multiple bugs experienced by everyone, most notably that the current configuration doesn't show in the Switchports view." The Give Feedback window wouldn't let me include the URL to this forum post.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels