Switches and Access Points are stuck on dhcp

Shockey074
Comes here often

Switches and Access Points are stuck on dhcp

our switches and access points seem to be stuck on dhcp even though they're set to static for one office, we currently use opendns for everything and never had any issues in the past. It seems that we're unable to make any changes on the ips but these devices can reach umbrella.

7 REPLIES 7
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

That typically occurs when the static IP isn't working so the device will stay in DHCP mode to remain connected to dashboard. Most common issues are ports not set as trunks, not allowing required VLANs, mismatched native VLANs.

Are you changing to a static IP in the same subnet that it currently is in with DHCP? Also, make sure you're not double tagging VLANs. Meaning if you have an AP connected to a switchport which is something like trunk, native 1, allow all VLANs. Don't then specify VLAN 1 under the static IP config on the AP.

If you DM me a serial of one of the devices I can take a look.

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

^^ as @Ryan_Miles states this is normally down to mismatched native VLAN.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

This case was the switch to MX link was an access port

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You pesky Meraki employees fixing stuff. 

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

This comment was enlightening.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@securingnimbu5 you do realise @DarrenOC was joking, don't you?

@cmrI had a hint of sarcasm with the comment haha

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels