Switch topology design question

TC27
New here

Switch topology design question

Hello,

I have a small office we are converting to Meraki switching - basically a brownfield deployment.

I will have 3 logical switches (one stack of two 250s and two standalone 225s).

There are about 60 users in the office. Traffic flow in the office is mostly North/South (very little compute actually in the office.)

Should I therefore create a switch topology whereby each logical switch connects directly to the MX100 router via Ethernet trunks? This to me would offer the best design for north south traffic. The downside is this creates an sub optimal layer 2 topology for broadcast/local traffic and wont allow me to use the SFP connections.

5 REPLIES 5
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes, you can do that.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Just remember that MX does not support LACP so if you intend to connect an interface of each switch in the stack, you must enable STP to avoid network looping.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Hello - yes that makes sense. I guess I need to consider the root bridge location carefully (probably the stack).

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'd connect the MXes to the 250 stack and then the 225s to the 250s.  Use port channels (aggregate ports) to connect the 250s and 225s.  That way you have redundant connections without the risk of spanning tree loops.

Unless your MXs and internet connection are over 20Gbps, you will get the best of both with this design.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

^ do this

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels