SFP ports do not work

SOLVED
MikeZ
New here

SFP ports do not work

Trying to get the SFP ports to work with a fiber transceiver and cannot get them to work

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi @MikeZ can you share the details on which make & model of SFP and which devices you are connecting together.  I see this is in the "switching" forum but it wasn't clear if you were referring to a particular model of switch, and if it was switch-to-switch or maybe a switch uplinking to an MX appliance or something else.  Also I'm assuming the SFP port(s) themselves are enabled.  And when you say you cannot get the SFP ports to work, in what way - not getting link lights, or Dashboard is not reflecting any SFP inserted, or maybe Dashboard shows the SFP info but you're not getting a link, etc?  Also want to confirm you are using the same type of SFP on both ends if it's a fiber link, needs to be SR-to-SR or LR-to-LR, or LRM-to-LRM, etc. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi @MikeZ can you share the details on which make & model of SFP and which devices you are connecting together.  I see this is in the "switching" forum but it wasn't clear if you were referring to a particular model of switch, and if it was switch-to-switch or maybe a switch uplinking to an MX appliance or something else.  Also I'm assuming the SFP port(s) themselves are enabled.  And when you say you cannot get the SFP ports to work, in what way - not getting link lights, or Dashboard is not reflecting any SFP inserted, or maybe Dashboard shows the SFP info but you're not getting a link, etc?  Also want to confirm you are using the same type of SFP on both ends if it's a fiber link, needs to be SR-to-SR or LR-to-LR, or LRM-to-LRM, etc. 

It is a Cisco Meraki Go 8-port PoE Network Switch that I am trying to connect to a Dell N1108P switch via SX Fiber transceivers on both ends. It is a Proline Cisco MA-SFP 1 GB SX compatible tranceiver in the Meraki. The Meraki link light never comes on. I have not found a way to get into the Meraki to see anything.

It is a Cisco Meraki Go 8-port PoE Network Switch that I am trying to connect to a Dell N1108P switch via SX Fiber transceivers on both ends. It is a Proline Cisco MA-SFP 1 GB SX compatible tranceiver in the Meraki. The Meraki link light never comes on. I have not found a way to get into the Meraki to see anything.

RSU21it
Getting noticed

Just throwing this out there not knowing what fiber patch cables you are using.  Have you tried reversing the polarity on one end of the LC-LC patch cable? I've had to do this when using some models of Proline SFPs over the years.

They are LC-LC, you mean unplugging from the switch and plugging into the patch panel and visa-versa?

RSU21it
Getting noticed

This is assuming your cabling is:  switch, LC patch cable to patch panel, fiber backbone to another patch panel, LC patch cable to 2nd switch.

On one end of one of the LC patch cables, you may need to flip the two fibers - depending on how your location is cabled.  For example, if the patch cable is a straight through cable, you can flip or cross the fibers on one end so that the patch cable is A to B.  Again, only on one end of one patch cable in the link.

Most (at least in my experience) fiber patch cables are built so that the LC connector housing is able to be removed in the field in order to flip (swap places is probably a better description) them in cases where it is needed.

I don't want to steer you down a path that you are not comfortable with doing.  I thought I would just at least mention this as a possible course of action if it is needed.  Another possibility is to contact Proline tech support. I've always had a great experience with them.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels