Routing to a default route even for a known network.

rahirahisystems
Conversationalist

Routing to a default route even for a known network.

A quick question about the behavior of Meraki switches before I try to find it out myself by pumping some traffic. Lets say I have 2 VLANs on a switch and I create 2 L3 VLAN interfaces on them. If I configure the default route to some IP address reachable via uplink, would all traffic (including those meant for these 2 "known" VLAN interfaces) - be routed out of the uplink or would this "known" VLAN traffic (directly connected known networks) be not subjected to the default static route? 

Please let me know if my question is not clear. 

TIA. 

4 REPLIES 4
AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi @rahirahisystems 

I believe The understanding is all the traffic  will be sent to Default  Route if not filtered by any other Routing Protocol.

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@rahirahisystems in general in IP routing the route chosen is the most specific.  i.e. If you have a route to 10.1.2.0/24 via IP address 1 and a route to 10.1.0.0/16 via IP address 2, traffic to 10.1.2.1-254 will attempt to get there by going to IP address 1.

A default route of 0.0.0.0/0 is the least specific route so is only chosen if there is no other route to that IP address.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Also note that whatever is receiving the traffic needs a return route.

Brons2
Building a reputation

Yes, the uplink from your 2 VLANs will be whatever the default route is, unless you put in some ACLs in preventing access to the default route, or if you have other routing protocols like OSPF that you configured to supersede the default route.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels