Rebooting MR30H connected to MS390 causes every port carrying IPTV VLAN to be flooded

slackerUH
Conversationalist

Rebooting MR30H connected to MS390 causes every port carrying IPTV VLAN to be flooded

We have had an issue that causes every TV on the property to freeze from time to time and we thought we previously resolved it.  We have 9 Meraki switches with 5 of them being MS390 and then MR30H access points with 1 port of the MR30H carrying the IPTV multicast VLAN.  That port is connected to an IPTV in a hotel guest room.  Our IPTV source is a 100 channel head end from COX.  The problem first appeared when the MR30H AP's were updated from firmware 29.5.1 to 30.2 last June.  We rolled back the AP's to 29.5.1 and the problem stopped.  Then last month, a Meraki bot updated those AP's to 30.6 and the problem started again so we rolled back to 29.5.1 again.  In troubleshooting, I realized that any time an MR30H is rebooted, every LG TV on the property freezes for about 1 minute and 30 seconds.  A packet capture shows that every port on the TV VLAN starts flooding all 100 multicast channels which then overloads the port and TV causing the freeze.  This only happens on our site with MS390 switches and MR30H AP's.  We have multiple other sites with the same configuration except there are MS350 switches instead of MS390. 

We also have MR36 and MR56 AP's on this site.  If I reboot those AP's, the network doesn't get flooded and the TV's don't freeze.  So it seems the issue probably has to do with the built-in switch on the MR30H and the MS390 switch.  Meraki support has not been able to figure out the problem and we left off with them talking about submitting a bug report for the MS390.

4 Replies 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Do you think it is possible that any time a port on the MS390 is subscribed to a multicast stream, then a cycle on that port results in the multicast forwarding cache being cleared, and every port gets the stream until the cache is rebuilt - and this has nothing to do with the MR30Hs?

If you get a test TV and plug it directly into the MS390 and configure that port for the TV VLAN can you make the same issue happen?

We have about every other port on the MS390's connected directly to a TV.  We have the MR30H's in every other guest room. 80 MR30H's total.  Unplugging a TV has never caused the issue.  I just double checked with the restaurant TV's that I have security cameras pointed at by cycling a port.  Only the TV connected to the cycled port loses connection which is shortly restored after the port comes back up.

slackerUH
Conversationalist

Meraki Support just recommended to update the MS390 switches to firmware CS 17.1.1 because of IGMP snooping enhancements and fixes.  I ran the update and we have a partial success.  None of the TV's directly connected to an access port on the MS390 switches froze when rebooting an MR30H AP.  However, every trunk port connected to an MR30H had a data spike and the TV's connected to those MR30H's froze.  This problem doesn't happen on other networks configured the same but with MS350 switches.  I am going to update the MR30H's from 29.5.1 to 30.6 in the next week and will test again.

IvanJukic
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi SlackerUH,

Was Spanning Tree ever looked at? Could be an issue with Broadcast Storm being triggered and potentially shutting down links.

Cheers,
Ivan Jukić

Cheers,

Ivan Jukić,
Meraki APJC

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If it solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels