Move MS250 into new Network within same Org

Solved
Merakinator2000
Just browsing

Move MS250 into new Network within same Org

Hello,

At one of our remote office sites (Toronto) I claimed and installed a new MS250-48 and one MR44 into our US Network.  When the switch came up the first 4 ports came up without any configuration in VLAN1 (our Internet uplinks), Port 18 came up as a Trunk port (uplink to 2960 stack) and I then configured 3 ports as Access ports VLAN18 to get things functional on LAN.  We have not configured any SSID's yet and now wish to CREATE a new Network (within our existing Org) and MOVE the MS250 and MR44 into this "Toronto" network, which will have its own unique SSIDs separate from the US.

The question is once the new Toronto network is created and the MS250 and MR44 are subsequently moved into it, what will be the impact if any to the existing configuration on the switch as described above?  During the move, will the switch bounce (downtime?) and what should I expect to have to do post move considering I only configured 3 ports on it to be Access Vlan 18?  It is my understanding that any switch-port configuration will be wiped on Move operation so considering I've only named the switch and configured 3 ports is that all that is needed to bring it back to the pre-Move state once its in the new created Network? 

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Ideally, you should replicate the configurations since the devices will inherit the configuration from the new newtork.

If you are going to proceed this way and the devices are in production, it is ideal that you perform this operation in a scheduled maintenance window.

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Inventory_and_Devices/Moving_Devices_between...

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
rhbirkelund
Kind of a big deal

All configuration done on a Meraki Network, is bound to that network.

So if you create a new network, and intend to move devices from Current to New network, you'll have to ensure to rebuild that configuration on the new Network.

Configuration from the Current network, will not move with the device to the New Network (to put it simply....).

LinkedIn ::: https://blog.rhbirkelund.dk/

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.

Understood that the new Toronto logical network will control devices moved into it thanks.  I guess my question is specific to the 3 ports that I set as Access ports and tagged as VLAN18, I can only assume they will default to VLAN1 and I will have to go into the portal and configure them in the portal back to ACCESS/VLAN18 after move to the new network.  The other ports, as described above, had no configuration done on them, so I assume the will just come up the same in Vlan1 as when the switch was new.  Still unsure if the switch will reboot during move.  If not, then all I have to worry about are the 3 VLAN18 ports I configured.  Thanks for your help!

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Ideally, you should replicate the configurations since the devices will inherit the configuration from the new newtork.

If you are going to proceed this way and the devices are in production, it is ideal that you perform this operation in a scheduled maintenance window.

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Inventory_and_Devices/Moving_Devices_between...

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Thanks! 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels