RSTP root on remote Meraki MS series switches

SOLVED
SteveLandon
Here to help

RSTP root on remote Meraki MS series switches

I have a central main facility with numerous Meraki switches. The RSTP settings are correct and the core switch is root. Five other locations ae connected to this main via VPN . What switch should be the Root for the remote locations?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@rhbirkelund has your setup covered with a 99,9% likelihood. But if you have ordered L2VPNs from your ISP and you share subnets between the HQ and the remote branches (which you really shouldn't unless you *really* know what you are doing) that your HQ likely should keep the root and all branch switches should have an inferior priority.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
rhbirkelund
Kind of a big deal

Spanning-Tree is a L2 feature. It is not extended over VPN. Each of the 5 locations will probably be their own RSTP root.

LinkedIn ::: https://blog.rhbirkelund.dk/

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@rhbirkelund has your setup covered with a 99,9% likelihood. But if you have ordered L2VPNs from your ISP and you share subnets between the HQ and the remote branches (which you really shouldn't unless you *really* know what you are doing) that your HQ likely should keep the root and all branch switches should have an inferior priority.

You're right. Branch locations have their own root priority. I also found a problem in a branch location that had been ignored - now fixed. Thanks for your help. Steve

SteveLandon
Here to help

We are using Sonicwall boxes for firewall/vpn. Nothing from ISP except fiber circuit. In some locations I have more than 1 access switch. I also have several old Cisco SG200 remotely that are going away soon. It looks like 1 of those SG200 have made itself rstp root. None of this was an issue until lately network congestion and slow down started for no obvious reason. I did find a small 8 port Meraki that had taken over as root and I fixed that last night. Improvement. I inherited this and now I'm cleaning it up a bit.  I'll try a fix on one of the remote locations tonight after hours.

well, with that every branch has it’s own spanning tree and there is no need to look at it across the branches. Yes, cleaning up is always a good idea.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels