Power down of switch rack for reorganization

SOLVED
bk10233
Here to help

Power down of switch rack for reorganization

Hi Community, 

I have a very general and simple question. We will soon be adding and replacing switches, as well as introducing some cable management to our small rack.
Q: Is there an optimal design, or correct sequence to power down a collection of MS225's, an aggregate switch, and the MX250 in order to move those devices .. Thanks  (see pic)

BillMX and AG.jpeg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No.  Just kill the power.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No.  Just kill the power.

Thanks Philip .. I can handle that one ..

Cable management is a good choice as well. I usually have no more than 2 devices stacked together before a cable management bar. 

Good to know Blake .. that will be our plan also .. thanks
Cmiller
Building a reputation

I like to use 1 foot or .5 foot cables to match to 24 panels and top and bottom of each switch. Super clean and so easy to identify. Example:
24 panel
MS220 48
24panel
24panel
MS220 48
23 panel

If money is not an object.... check out the guys at Patchbox https://patchbox.com/patchbox-plus
I've only seen deployed once but it is super easy and efficient.

Thanks CMiller .. that sounds clean .. I'll take a look at the patchbox info also .. (although that money thing ...uhhh 😉
SteveWeidner
Here to help

I know this wasn't asked, but in case this is useful to future readers..

When bringing them back online, it is good to power up your MX as soon as it is racked and connected to the ISP.  Connect and power up the MS250 next and you will have everything (the rest of the building) back online except devices connected directly to this rack. It also provides, should you need it, connectivity from your laptop to the dashboard.

In regard to the stack, power on sequence should not matter. As a personal preference, I bring them up "top to bottom" as seen in the rack.  Typically, as each one is being cabled, I will have it booting up so I can watch the boot sequence lights and know it is communicating with the dashboard. By the time the last patch cable is connected, the dashboard should be all green again.

#ProTip Spread your AP and MV connections among your switches to minimize impact of a single switch going down. For example, ports 1-6 of each switch in a stack or closet would be dedicated to wireless and/or surveillance.

Good info Steve .. I appreciate this .. thanks
SteveWeidner
Here to help

I know this wasn't asked, but in case this is useful to future readers..

When bringing them back online, it is good to power up your MX as soon as it is racked and connected to the ISP.  Connect and power up the MS250 next and you will have everything (the rest of the building) back online except devices connected directly to this rack. It also provides, should you need it, connectivity from your laptop to the dashboard.

In regard to the stack, power on sequence should not matter. As a personal preference, I bring them up "top to bottom" as seen in the rack.  Typically, as each one is being cabled, I will have it booting up so I can watch the boot sequence lights and know it is communicating with the dashboard. By the time the last patch cable is connected, the dashboard should be all green again.

#ProTip Spread your AP and MV connections among your switches to minimize impact of a single switch going down. For example, ports 1-6 of each switch in a stack or closet would be dedicated to wireless and/or surveillance.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels