Possible to Clear Client Information?

Twitch
Building a reputation

Possible to Clear Client Information?

So this is a strange one - one of the computers that runs a machine in our shop is reporting an IP address that is not even remotely close to what it is actually configured with via static IP. The client should be reporting 10.0.8.196, but instead, it is reporting what you see here:

Twitch_0-1621283490695.png

The subnet that the client resides in is 10.0.8.0/22, nowhere near the IP listed above. In fact, the client is configured with 10.0.8.196, which is pingable and reachable from within the network it resides in. However, from across town at our other plant, the program that is used to reach the machine itself and program jobs into it cannot reach it - the program crashes and throws and error. I do not have access to the client config, unfortunately - that is managed by the manufacturer (Voortman). That 5.x.x.x IP address has to be coming from the client computer. We do not have anything on our network that uses a 5. address range. In keeping with tradition, however, the vendor says it has to be coming from within out network. The MAC address is correct, but the IP is waaaaay off. I think this address issue is the cause of the reachability issue, but talking to the vendor about it is worse than beating my head against a brick wall covered in spikes lathered in COVID.

The make things even stranger, I ran this 5. address through Advanced IP Scanner and received this back:

Twitch_0-1621284025071.png

???

What I am wondering is if there is a way to clear possibly stale and/or incorrect information out of the Merakis? I would like to delete this client entry and let it refresh itself, or clear the ARP cache.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get rid of the cache on Meraki gear?

Thanks.

Twitch

1 Reply 1
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm not aware of this kind of device but when I have seen this happen in the past it is because the device has a "burned in" IP address, and even though it is configured with a different address, it still uses the burned-in one for some packets.  You could confirm this with a long-running packet capture.

I have most commonly seen this with security cameras where they use the magic burned-in IP address for initial configuration.  You fire up the configuration app, and it tries to talk to the magic IP address knowing that no matter what configuration the user has given it, it will work.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels