Port-Profiles VS Named-VLANs

MK2
Building a reputation

Port-Profiles VS Named-VLANs

Hi community,

just a simple question out to you:

Does anyone uses port-profiles for MS in a productive environment?

I just gave the feature a new try in brown-field deployment and it really sucks.

The buggy UI integration shows the "original"-port configuration in somewhat kind that it is really confusing for support to find out which VLAN is in use. This feature has such a great potential, but at the moment it's not my best friend.

What do you think?
7 Replies 7
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Well I think that like any new feature it is expected that there will be some Bugs, what we should do is keep reporting to Meraki and hope that they fix it as soon as possible.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I think part of the issue is they want something that is compatible with RADIUS, so you can assign a named vlan using radius, but also provide something that an administrator without radius can use, using only a GUI.

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Personally I don't really get the use case for the current iteration of port profiles since you can just use tags to organize your port types and keep them in sync with each other.  There are also a few features missing.

MK2
Building a reputation

Support says that it worked as intended.

It's funny that everyone we showed the feature to didn't understand why it was displayed like this.

the fact is, everything is correct in the port details, it's only in the "switchports" dashboard that it's wrong for me.
Who cares about the "original" VLAN, we want to see the configured and active VLAN! Likewise, if I remove a port profile, it is still displayed. The only workaround is to create a profile with the name "-".

I have marked this in orange.

The feature itself is great, if it weren't for these two details.

MK2_0-1702971402948.png

JacekJ
Building a reputation

Yeah, its confusing, also if you use that for Uplink/Downlik ports without setting them manually first (lets say a brand new switch with the standard trunk + native vlan 1 setup on all ports) - the dashboard will start complaining about vlan mismatch on trunk ports (its checking against the manual setup, not the current one affected by port profiles).

I would expect them to test things way more before deploying them tbh.

M2
Conversationalist

For me, port profiles are not even an option on MS390 switches! WHY? Support says yeah, not supported.

MK2
Building a reputation

Maybe Meraki will surprise me with working port profiles next Christmas.
Sanata can you hear me....🎅

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels