Ping not working for Vlan IP

Irin04
Comes here often

Ping not working for Vlan IP

Hi Everyone,

I am having issue for setting up a device with vlan.

Here is my switch setup:

One switch is cisco meraki that switch (main switch) is in 192.168.1.0/24 . I created Vlan 2 and 3 in that switch. Main switch is connected to another switch which is in 192.168.2.0/24. Thrid swicth is connected to second switch which is in 192.168.2.0/24.In frist switch an interface G24 i setup native vlan 2 and trunk that port also allowed all vlan. In thrid switch an interface G7 setup Vlan 3 and trunk also allowed all vlan. Now as my setup it can identify network but can not ping when i connec any device in thrid switch by using ethernet cable.

Any suggestion!

Thank You!

Irin 

5 Replies 5
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Do you have any ACL configured that might be blocking the ping test?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Thank you for replying! No! there no ACL setup.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It's hard to follow what you are doing from your description.

I'm going to assume the main switch is a layer 3 switch.

Let's try simplifying things.  I would change the connections between all the switches to trunk ports using native VLAN1.  You don't mention if they are all Meraki switches or not.  If they are not Meraki switches, make sure VLAN2 and VLAN3 have been created on the other two switches.

Now change the non-trunk ports on switches 2 and 3 to access ports, and move those ports into whatever VLAN you want them to be in.

Maybe take a read over this layer 3 switch example.  It is close to describing what you have.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Layer_3_Switching/Layer_3_Switch_Example 

Sorry for the confusion! Other swictes are not meraki. those are PoE smart switch. I didn't mention i did all the switches to trunk ports native VLAN 1. In swicth 3 it's not directly connected to meraki. It connects to Switch 2. But i separately created VLAN 2 and 3 in both switch. About to change port access port, I changed switch 3 G7 interface to access port which i want to use a device by using ethernet cable. I didn't change anything switch 2. I am confused about changing access port in switch 2. Do i need to specify a specific port for that vlan and connect that port to switch 3?

Thank You!

irin

It does not sound like you have a device configured to route between these VLANs. 

All you have laid out is layer 2 switching, but have not talked about what (if anything is setup to do routing).

You would have to have a single device connected to all VLANs (either an MX or switch with L3 routing turned on).

You cannot forward traffic between VLANs without a routing device connected to all VLANs

That routing device would have an IP address in each VLAN, which would use as a default gateway on that VLAN.

Also as @PhilipDAth  says, all of those VLANs would have to be defined in each switch. 

This is because the non-Meraki switches are not learning the VLAN from the Meraki network. 

Is there a reason you have to cascade the switches, rather than have both Switch 2 and 3 connect directly to Switch 1?

What model is Switch 1? Is it Layer 3 capable, or do you have an MX?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels