Physical or Virtual stack

SOLVED
LawrenceLethuba
Conversationalist

Physical or Virtual stack

Good day,

Kindly advise if there are any differences between a virtual stack and a physical stack?

Can I move the customer from Physical to Virtual?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
LawrenceLethuba
Conversationalist

Thank you @Brash, much appreciated!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Virtual stacking is essentially a feature for ease of management from the dashboard.

The switches remain separate in terms of physical operation and network topology.

Physical switching on the other hand is where two (or more) switches are physically connected to eachother using the stack ports.They are managed and act as a single switch, providing benefits or redundancy and faster switching of packets between ports on two different stack members.

Physical is only supported on certain switch models so make sure to check the Meraki MS Datasheet or the below linked stacking guide.

Stacking Guide for reference: Switch Stacks - Cisco Meraki

Prodrick
Building a reputation

In both cases, physical and virtual stack, does the stack use only one management IP address, or is that constrained to physical stacks?  Thanks

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Great explanation @Brash 

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
LawrenceLethuba
Conversationalist

Thank you @Brash, much appreciated!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels