POE vs POE+ - when does POE+ come in to play?

Solved
CWK_Rob
Getting noticed

POE vs POE+ - when does POE+ come in to play?

Hi everyone,

Doing some POE budgeting and spec'ing a new switch.  I'm curious about POE vs POE+.  I understand that POE+ can deliver up to 30W, but when would it elevate the power beyond that of regular POE?

Does it depend on the end-point device requirement and the switch port auto senses?  Are there any examples of devices that require POE+ that you can think of?

Thanks,

Rob

1 Accepted Solution
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

PoE and PoE+ are different standards (802.3af and 802.3at).

The switch will negotiate with the client which standard they support and will operate on. This is regardless of the amount of active or planned power draw.

Many devices these days will support PoE+. Think AP's, IP Phones, Security/alarm systems, cameras etc.

That said, it doesn't mean that all of these devices will draw 30W of power. They can still draw <15W.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Check these below devices on the different power requirement

Inderdeep_0-1698278447451.png

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

PoE and PoE+ are different standards (802.3af and 802.3at).

The switch will negotiate with the client which standard they support and will operate on. This is regardless of the amount of active or planned power draw.

Many devices these days will support PoE+. Think AP's, IP Phones, Security/alarm systems, cameras etc.

That said, it doesn't mean that all of these devices will draw 30W of power. They can still draw <15W.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>but when would it elevate the power beyond that of regular POE?

That's like asking why something needs more power than a 1.5v AA battery.  Why can't I run my home from the AA battery?

Some things simply need more power.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels