OS information not matching

SOLVED
CWMARS
Getting noticed

OS information not matching

Hi Everyone,

We try and monitor the OS of the devices on our networks since we no longer support MS Windows 7 and are trying to get our users to upgrade.  In checking the OS info we have found that the info listing on the network-wide clients in the MS120 switches usually states "other" whereas the MX security device states that it is "Windows 10".  Why would these two devices communicating with each other interpret the same device differently?  What's the point of the OS info in the MS120 if it just says "other"?

Thanks,

Anne

Anne Savoie
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

I see the same thing (not for all clients) in some of my networks if I change client view to 'only switch clients'.

For example, There is a Samsung Galaxy S8 phone that shows up as 'Android' for the MX view, but not MS view, where it just says 'Other'.

My theory for this is because of the following:

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Monitoring_and_Reporting/Client_Details_Pag...

MX
"Operating System - OS that the device is Running. This is based on how the device handles TCP handshakes and DHCP"

MS
"Operating System - OS that the device is Running."

My switch isn't doing Layer 3 operations, and I would imagine yours are also not since they are MS120's, so all the TCP and DHCP frames/packets are landing on the MX, which is allowing the MX to detect OS type, but not the MS.

I agree however that they should 'probably' show the same thing since the MX is able to determine what it is, so the dashboard would/could/should sync across the board 😃

My suggestion for now is avoid using the 'only switch clients' view for what your trying to do. And change the column view under MX so it shows you switch/port/vlan information etc.

Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

I see the same thing (not for all clients) in some of my networks if I change client view to 'only switch clients'.

For example, There is a Samsung Galaxy S8 phone that shows up as 'Android' for the MX view, but not MS view, where it just says 'Other'.

My theory for this is because of the following:

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Monitoring_and_Reporting/Client_Details_Pag...

MX
"Operating System - OS that the device is Running. This is based on how the device handles TCP handshakes and DHCP"

MS
"Operating System - OS that the device is Running."

My switch isn't doing Layer 3 operations, and I would imagine yours are also not since they are MS120's, so all the TCP and DHCP frames/packets are landing on the MX, which is allowing the MX to detect OS type, but not the MS.

I agree however that they should 'probably' show the same thing since the MX is able to determine what it is, so the dashboard would/could/should sync across the board 😃

My suggestion for now is avoid using the 'only switch clients' view for what your trying to do. And change the column view under MX so it shows you switch/port/vlan information etc.

Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

Thanks Nolan!

Anne Savoie
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels