Need help with RSTP or OSPF configuration issue

GaelGiraud
Comes here often

Need help with RSTP or OSPF configuration issue

Hello everyone,

I have a problem with my OSPF configuration. I am attaching a diagram below to better understand our network.

We have three datacenters connected together by dark fiber.
We have created a loop, DC 1 is connected to DC 2, DC 2 to DC 3 and finally DC 3 to DC 1.
We have servers on DC 1, DC 2 and DC 3.

The servers on DC 1 are backed up on DC 2, those on DC 2 are backed up on DC 3 and those on DC 3 are backed up on DC 1. We use OSPF to announce networks to other sites.

On the diagram, in green, I noted the interconnection networks between the DCs. All ports connected to the dark fiber are in access mode placed in the dedicated vlan.

In the white square placed on the switches, I noted the networks announced by the OSPF interfaces.
My problem is that RSTP blocks a port on the DC 3 switch to avoid the loop. The dark fiber between DC 2 and DC 3 is useless.

The backup traffic of the DC 2 servers (the red line) goes through DC 1 before going back down to DC 3.

In my mind, OSPF optimizes traffic by taking the shortest path between the source route and the destination route, the whole point being to recalculate the routing table when a link goes down.

When I look at blogs on OSPF, I find diagrams identical to mine and none of them talk about the problems of layer 2 loops.

My problem is also that this design implemented for one region, we want to implement it also on other regions where we have several data centers.

Has anyone in the community already set up this type of diagram or am I wrong with this design?
Thanks in advance to everyone, if my explanation is not detailed enough, I will answer all the additional questions.

Best regards,

Gael

RSTP_OSPF.png

2 Replies 2
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

These are switches sending bpdu on native vlan, and meraki only support stp, so just a single topology (not per vlan). 

Most designs you looking at are probably using routers or switches using layer3 ports. (Like a catalyst with  # no swithport)

I supose you could disable stp on the ports using this design, buttttt a configuration/mistake in the future could lead to a loop. I think i wouldnt use meraki switches for this design

GaelGiraud
Comes here often

I disabled RSTP on the ports on each end and now my backup traffic goes through the shortest path, thanks for the advice.

If I use "MAC Allow List" on each end to limit communication to only the two switches, can it secure the disabling of RSTP?

For the rest of our deployments we will use C9300-48P.

With IOS, the "no switchport" command is possible so the hardware supports it.

I hope this will be possible with the same hardware in the Meraki dashboard, I will ask support.

Thanks again for your help.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels