Ms125 48lp poe can only provide 15w instead of 30w

Rujag
Here to help

Ms125 48lp poe can only provide 15w instead of 30w

Please forgive me if this is very basic. But I cant seems to enable ms125 48lp to power 30w device (the port only provide 15w max) eventhough there is still much power available. Where can I configure it?

Thank you. 

13 Replies 13
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

The MS125 supports PoE/PoE+. So, 30W support is enabled by default and is not a configurable item.

The MS125-48LP specifically supports a total of 370W PoE (link to datasheet).

Ryan / Meraki Solutions Engineer

If you found this post helpful, please give it Kudos. If my answer solves your problem please click Accept as Solution so others can benefit from it.
Rujag
Here to help

I'm using port 43 to power 1 unit mr57. It's written 12.5w (PD requested 30w). Is there any thing I should change in the setting? 

There's nothing you need to do. Are you encountering a problem of some sort?

Ryan / Meraki Solutions Engineer

If you found this post helpful, please give it Kudos. If my answer solves your problem please click Accept as Solution so others can benefit from it.

the MR57 is not discovered. we think its because MR 57 is requesting 30W but the MS125 only delivered 12,5W

FernandoHVoIP
Comes here often

Are you using a Cat5e (or higher) cable?
Are the ms125 48lp and mr57 upgraded to the latest firmware version?
Have you noticed any abnormality on the AP functionality? 

You can try another cable and on another port of the switch and check if this still the same wattage.  

I'm using cat 6. and all device is using latest firmware.

but the MR57 is not discovered. Also FYI I just plug 1 MR57 so there should be much power available. 

Only when I try to use additional PoE injector the AP can go up normally.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What firmware version is the MR57 running?

Rujag
Here to help

right now is 30.1 but i think I found the issue. bad cabling works. damn

Alejandro_F
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi Rujag,

Both the MR57 and the MS125 supports PoE+ (802.3at), the supplied power is up to 30.8W,  which doesn't means the AP will all the time consume full power. The consumption is negotiated depending on the current client needs. In the MR57 datasheet is a brief note. "Actual power consumption may vary depending on the AP usage."

It is normal to see less power consumed, the few times you will see all the power consumption is when the AP is running at full load.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/MR_Overview_and_Specifications/MR57_Datasheet

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.

But the problem is, we cannot powering up the MR57 AP since they only got power below the requirement right now. 

Rujag_0-1717837450201.jpeg

Access Point couldn't flow any data traffic, due to low PD from MS125.. we wondering how to tweak the inline power on MS125, could we do the inline power on MS125 like another cisco switch poe families?

Bad cabling works at play. We try to use another cat6 cables and plug it directly to the switch. It's working well right now. 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Run a cable test on the MS125 on the port going to the AP.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Monitoring_and_Reporting/Using_the_Cable_Test_Live_tool 

99% this is a cabling issue.

Another option, bring the AP to the switch and plug it in using a patch cable (so all existing cabling is eliminated) - does it work properly now?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels